P25 Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spunone69

I just got a BCD396XT, I haven't had a scanner in years, so I'm new to all this P25/APCO digital stuff. I used the FreeScan tool to download freq lists directly into the scanner from RR's database...when I turn on the scanner, it scrolls thru all the P25 channels but I don't hear anything at all. Is there some setting I'm missing?? All the analog channels work just like my old Pro-96, but it seems like none of the digital trunks are pulling in any chatter...any suggestions? I'm mainly interested in San Mateo, San francisco, Oakland, Santa Clara etc...

spunone69

I dumped the freq lists directly from RR to the scanner, will doing an ID search change that? I'm pretty sure the TGIDs were in the lists already, no?

teufler

Make sure you have systems turned on, and groups turned on. Look at the scanner face, you see s0, then you should see numbers, if you see asterisks, systems are turned off, press the numbers corresponding to the asterisks, or press a number , o-9 . Or in Freescan, with the scanner plugged in, and your current file displayed, press ctrl-k, this brings up quick key manager. Press auto then send the results to the scanner.

teufler

on your current file, left side in Freescan, you see a p25 system. Click, then look at the right side. you have a setting for id scan and id search. Starting out, I do id search, this way you get what you have programmed in and tg's that you have not. If you find more tg's that you want, look in RR for the tg's and load those groups. After you are satisfied, you can turn to id scan, and you only stop on id's that are programmed to the radio.

kma371

QRT
I just got a BCD396XT, I haven't had a scanner in years, so I'm new to all this P25/APCO digital stuff. I used the FreeScan tool to download freq lists directly into the scanner from RR's database...when I turn on the scanner, it scrolls thru all the P25 channels but I don't hear anything at all. Is there some setting I'm missing?? All the analog channels work just like my old Pro-96, but it seems like none of the digital trunks are pulling in any chatter...any suggestions? I'm mainly interested in San Mateo, San francisco, Oakland, Santa Clara etc...

Best thing you can do is ZIP up your Freescan file and post it here. I'm very familiar with those systems and can look and make sure it's programmed correctly.

Eng74

Santa Clara is P2 system so the XT will not work on it. Also where you are can make a difference on what you can pick up. San Francisco you will not pick up out side of the city too far.

spunone69

Thanks...I think you're right, its just the group/ID settings. All I have are a bunch of asterisks, no numbers. When I get home from work, I'll plug it into FreeScan and check the settings. I can tell it's picking up stuff in the San Mateo County trunks, I see the signal meter jump to 4 or 5 bars, its just not "stopping" on the channels long enough to "hear" anything. I am mainly interested in San Mateo and San Francisco counties since I live close to both...I didn't know Santa Clara went to Phase 2, is Alameda/Oakland still Phase 1??

spunone69

When I look at the scanner, on the bottom of the screen it shows this:

S0:-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
GRP: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Is that the way its supposed to look, or should there be something in place of those dashes?

Eng74

Looks like you have not assigned quick keys to the systems or groups if that is what your screen is showing.

Last edited:

spunone69

How do I turn them "on"?? I know they aren't working, I was in downtown SF and Oakland today...neither places picked up any trunked freq's on the scanner. It was like I said earlier, I can see the signal meter jump to 4 or 5 bars when it scans the trunked channels, but it doesn't stop on them, it just blows right through them like they aren't even there...if I scroll thru them manually (with the volume knob) I can see the signal meter show that its picking up something, but I don't hear anything. All the analog/conventional channels come in fine...what am I missing here???

kma371

QRT
How do I turn them "on"?? I know they aren't working, I was in downtown SF and Oakland today...neither places picked up any trunked freq's on the scanner. It was like I said earlier, I can see the signal meter jump to 4 or 5 bars when it scans the trunked channels, but it doesn't stop on them, it just blows right through them like they aren't even there...if I scroll thru them manually (with the volume knob) I can see the signal meter show that its picking up something, but I don't hear anything. All the analog/conventional channels come in fine...what am I missing here???

If you set a system in free scan to a specific system key, then you would turn it on by typing that number on the keypad.

That's why I think it's helpful to attach your file here so we can look at it

spunone69

Here is the freescan file, I just downloaded it from my scanner...any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• BCD396XT 7-19-2016.zip
    23.4 KB · Views: 44

spunone69

I turned on all the "quick keys" like suggested...now, when I scroll manually thru San Mateo County (P25) it says "finding control channel" on all the channels...

kma371

QRT
I turned on all the "quick keys" like suggested...now, when I scroll manually thru San Mateo County (P25) it says "finding control channel" on all the channels...

Ok, looked at the file. Here are some suggestions and Issues.

#1 You do not have quick keys assigned to any systems or groups. Since you don't have quick keys enabled on the groups, the systems have nothing to scan.

#2 It helps a little to only download the control channels for the trunked systems. It saves a little bit of room in the memory and it also cuts down on unnecessary scanning or searching for control channel data on frequencies that are not control channels.

#3 You can get rid of Oakland P25 as it's not really used anymore.

For better organization, I personally like to break things down by city. I set my scanner up like this:

Alameda - System Quick Key 1 (I use system quick key 1 because Alameda County is the first county alphabetically in the state)
PD - Group Quick Key 1
FD - Group Quick Key 2

Berkeley - System Quick Key 1
PD - Group Quick Key 1
FD - Group Quick Key 2

Atherton - System Quick Key 41 (I use quick key 41 because San Mateo County, where Atherton is located, is the 41st county alphabetically)
PD - Group Quick Key 1
FD - Group Quick Key 2

This way, where ever I am located physically, say I'm visiting San Mateo County, I can turn on System Key 41 and listen to all activity near me. Or, if I'm visiting Santa Clara County, I can turn on System Key 43 (43rd alphabetically) and so on.

Last edited:

spunone69

KMA - After I uploaded my file last night, I played around with the quick key settings, groups, etc. It's still doing the same thing. The S0: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- is all filled up with numbers 1 thru 9 and as it scans different systems, I can see the signal meter jumping up and down, and the GRP: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- will show numbers flashing on and off. It won't stop on the channels to "hear" anything. When I manually scroll thru those "active" groups and channels it says "Finding Control Channel" and it stays like that. Do you think you could "edit" my freq list and send it back to me?? Whatever you think will work...

spunone69

I edited the file again, and added "quick keys" and groups for SFO Airport (I'm literally right next to the airport here at my office) I can see the "groups" popping up in the bottom and the signal meter jumps all the way to 5...but still nothing...it says "finding control channel" on every P25 channel...what am I missing here???

Status
Not open for further replies.