Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattSR

Hi Guys,

While doing some research for a friend, I came across this system:- https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6781 - which of course belongs to LLNL. I thought that LLNL was just one site in Livermore, so why does the system cover such a wide area? From the DB, there are sites in 6 counties around the bay area itself.

Is there more than one site for LLNL? The Wikipedia article seems to indicate only this one location:- https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...280030f00ed38!8m2!3d37.6891168!4d-121.7170384

Cheers,
Matt

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you look at the talk groups in use, you'll see they have users in multiple locations.

Golden Gate National Recreation Area is a user, and they need coverage out by the golden gate.
John Muir National Historic Site is a user.
Defense Logistics Agency is a user, they've got stuff all over.
Lawrence Berkeley National Labs is a user, and they need coverage around the Berkeley Hills.

Probably users that are not listed.

Looks like they just kept building off the LLNL system to add coverage for smaller user groups.

From the locations listed, it makes sense based on the users.

MattSR

Yes, my confusion comes from the fact that the users seem to have nothing to do with the LLNL lab itself..

For example, what does the Golden Gate National Recreation Area have to do with a radiation research laboratory?

Looking at their campus on Google Earth reveals that Sandia Corporation is on the same site - which completely make sense as they manufacture parts for the U.S. Nuclear arsenal, however, users like John Muir National Historic Site don't seem to have anything to do with LLNL or LASL for that matter (which has its own trunked system also)

Cheers,
Matt

northzone

Premium Subscriber
Yes, my confusion comes from the fact that the users seem to have nothing to do with the LLNL lab itself..

For example, what does the Golden Gate National Recreation Area have to do with a radiation research laboratory?

They are all agencies of the federal government. LLL is part of the Dept of Energy (run on a contract).

So think of it as a Federal Government radio system.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, I think that's the key all federal users or federal contractors.
Rather than building out multiple systems for a few guys with radios, make it one big system, get the wider area coverage for everyone, etc.

kma371

QRT
If I remember way back when it originally became operational, it was only LLNL and LBL. Over the years it expended to DLA and the GGNRA. Guess we just never changed the name to better fit it's current configuration.

kma371

QRT

Looking at their campus on Google Earth reveals that Sandia Corporation is on the same site - which completely make sense as they manufacture parts for the U.S. Nuclear arsenal, however, users like John Muir National Historic Site don't seem to have anything to do with LLNL or LASL for that matter (which has its own trunked system also)

Cheers,
Matt

GGNRA and John Muir are both part of NPS I believe.

kma371

QRT
Defense Logistics Agency is a user, they've got stuff all over.

DLA is in the process of moving over to it's own neworked Nationwide system. I don't think they are active on this system anymore. Haven't listened in a while.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
If I remember way back when it originally became operational, it was only LLNL and LBL. Over the years it expended to DLA and the GGNRA. Guess we just never changed the name to better fit it's current configuration.

That's correct. The old GGNRA system was a two site 400 MHz Motorola Smartzone analog system. The old system is off line and deprecated but can still be found with a google search: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=349

When it was taken off line, the LLNL P25 system already had sites in Livermore, Site 300, Lawrence Berkeley Lab and Mt Diablo.

National Park Service presumably worked out a deal with LLNL to restore their original coverage area (as well as the addition of the coastal areas around Pacifica), and they added the three sites on Mt Tam, Presidio and Montara.

John Muir National Historic Site is also NPS, but I'm not sure what radio system they used pre-LLNL. I'd guess something in the 163-174 MHz conventional range (if they had radios at all).

ME801

IIRC John Muir NHS was established after GGNRA made the move to the LLNL trunked system.
I used the Moto 400 MHz analog trunked system when I worked north of the Golden Gate Bridge, it was OK in the Headlands, but north of there it was very poor. Basically non existent coverage along Hwy 1, Muir Woods and Stinson. Stinson we had to use Tac 7 and relay through the lifeguards in the life guard tower. Pretty sad for a public safety radio system.
I don't know if coverage is any better under the LLNL system, but I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.