Bay Area Fire Interop-7-800 or VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
My understanding is that eventually, San Mateo, Santa Clara , Alameda, and Contra Costa radio systems will all be interoperable. If that happens, is there a plan to move wholesale to 7-800? of will they the fire dept.'s stay on VHF because of CalFire. I know that Oakland, and San Fran and Contra Costa are already on 7-800 so as I was looking at the database, it got me thinking.

As long as I'm spitballing, any more talk about a Statewide 7-800 system for Calfire?

kma371

QRT
I don't think there will be any frequency changes with regards to interop. Nothing will move solely to one band. Too many agencies are still scattered among different bands.

And doubtful there will ever be a 700/800 system (I assume you mean trunked) for CalFire. It would have to massive and probably would never get funding for something that large v

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
As far as a trunked 700/800 for CAL FIRE, it adds a layer of complexity that isn't needed or desired. Also, propagation and coverage would be an issue... there's a reason wildland fire response is VHF nationwide. Anyone who says otherwise is a sales person or IT person who knows nothing about radios. (There's a lot out there, often in charge of the radio department)

Eng74

Asking San Francisco to go interop with other departments on radio is a gigantic step. They have never went to national standard on their hydrants and hose. Anyone coming into the city will have to pickup an adapter to hook up.

Status
Not open for further replies.