My x-wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

red-dog

Following the approach proposed by MT magazine about the construction of the X-Wing for satcom, I have tried to reproduce it in the variant of a reflective surface made of aluminum with 8 10 and 8 mm and the line of descent in the cable TV directly soldered elements under the Scheme. Today I finished the job and as you can see from the photos is the antenna on the roof due to the listening tests, the results we will feel afterwards.

Attachments

• x-wing 1.jpg
    x-wing 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,336

red-dog

my x-wing

Following the approach proposed by MT magazine about the construction of the X-Wing for satcom, I have tried to reproduce it in the variant of a reflective surface made of aluminum with 8 10 and 8 mm and the line of descent in the cable TV directly soldered elements under the Scheme. Today I finished the job and as you can see from the photos is the antenna on the roof due to the listening tests, the results we will feel afterwards.

Attachments

• x-wing.jpg
    x-wing.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,425

Fast1eddie

Nice! I am looking forward to your further evaluation and report. I am going to build one, gotta get the material together.

For now, my station is a Icom discone into maybe 20 feet of RG-8. Station is at roof level and able to manage the short cable run. Using R7000 and have experienced moderate success so far.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you've soldered the coaxial cables directly to the elements...

Are you using RG-6? Can you give us some details of the phasing harness, etc.

Personally I wouldn't have painted it until I knew it worked ;)

Grazie.

SCPD

QRT
Wow..that looks great! I like the fact that you used aluminum rods for the reflector instead of wire mesh. How did you come up with the spacing for the reflector elements. The original MT instructions say to use wire mesh with holes not larger than 1''. Let us know how it works!

red-dog

Hello, it seems that this antenna works. Certainly it is not up to my 2x6 elements, I noticed that focuses on satellite it assumes a certain directivity, albeit limited. As for cable, satellite TV cables are simple with copper braid and foil shielding allluminium with 0.81 speed factor thus reflect the measurements of the lines given by the coupling project MT MAGAZINE.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Do you have an Link for the MT Magazine plans......

prcguy

Congratulations red-dog, looks very nice! The radials are probably fine for a reflector and I would connect them all together electrically inside the pipe. If you did not use the chassis mount F connectors in the article, the phasing harness should be ok if the overall coax lengths include the length of the chassis connectors. If both harness cables are a little long but by the exact same amount it will be fine but if one cable is off by 1cm it will degrade performance.

The phasing harness in the article is a compromise to provide a 90deg phase shift between dipoles and to help match the roughly 70 ohm dipole elements to 50 ohm coax. Usually this type of phasing harness matches 50 ohm coax to two 50 ohm dipoles and the harness length was adjusted to get the best match while keeping a good 90 deg shift. The dipoles in this project sit about 1/2 wavelength above the reflector to get the desired pattern where most other X-wing types are about 1/4 wavelength above the reflector like a conventional Yagi and are closer to 50 ohms.

This antenna has an omni-directional main lobe that points upward at roughly 45 deg with a null straight up and has a good working elevation of around 20 to 60 deg upward. It was designed for optimum reception of UHF milsats that cover the US, but it should also be good for most of EU. See post # 11 here for the instructions. http://forums.radioreference.com/sa...8-mt-magazine-uhf-satcom-antenna-project.html
prcguy

Do you have an Link for the MT Magazine plans......

Last edited:

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi
Here in EU 99% of the Time you will hear Satcom Pirates from East Europe. I would say from Romania?

rbm

Back in 2014 I did some testing on my ST2 antennas to see just how directional they are.
Part of my testing was done on SatCom frequencies.

While doing that, I decided to compare them to my X-Wing antenna.

In the images below, you'll see that on each of two ST2 antennas pointed East and West (on the side of a mast), some of the signals were just barely noticeable at all.
(If you only depended on one of those antennas, in only one direction, you wouldn't even know the other signals existed.)

On the X-Wing, they were all there and strong.
Very nice performance!

Both screen captures were within just a few minutes of each other.

There's a little more info in my older post here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...300420-st-2-antenna-question.html#post2273513

Rich

Two ST2 antennas, pointed East and West, simultaneously using two instances of SDRSharp.

And on my X-Wing:

Last edited:

prcguy

In my testing for the article I compared the MT X-wing to a $7,000+ Trivec-Avant AV2090-10 magnetic mount X-wing and my MT version was better. This is partially due to the Trivec-Avant having a pattern that points straight up and there are no UHF satellites straight up in the US. The MT version is optimized for a more realistic 20 to 60deg angle upward and there is no spot in the US where the satellites are any higher than 60deg.
prcguy

Back in 2014 I did some testing on my ST2 antennas to see just how directional they are.
Part of my testing was done on SatCom frequencies.

While doing that, I decided to compare them to my X-Wing antenna.

In the images below, you'll see that on each of two ST2 antennas pointed East and West (on the side of a mast), some of the signals were just barely noticeable at all.
(If you only depended on one of those antennas, in only one direction, you wouldn't even know the other signals existed.)

On the X-Wing, they were all there and strong.
Very nice performance!

Both screen captures were within just a few minutes of each other.

There's a little more info in my older post here:
http://forums.radioreference.com/sc...300420-st-2-antenna-question.html#post2273513

Rich

Two ST2 antennas, pointed East and West, simultaneously using two instances of SDRSharp.

And on my X-Wing:

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
@rbm
WTF! You can be happy that you are life in an Country/ Area where the use an Language you understand.
Here everything is in any language than English...

Status
Not open for further replies.