251.275 CONUS phone conversation

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Database Admin
Have been hearing telephones on this freq off and on most of the past week. Do you know what satellite this is this coming from?

mancow

Database Admin
Specifically no, but it appears to be in the 100 W CONUS area. I'm about 95 West and I am pointing almost due South and about 45 degrees inclination.

mancow

Database Admin
how come I don't pick many English speaking people up on the 250mhz band for milsats?

The English speakers are the legit users so they are running crypto by policy. The rest are illegally accessing the network from outside the USA.

prcguy

I don't speak Spanish, or Italian or Portuguese, but did recently spend a week in Sao Paulo, Brazil. The people in the phone conversation signed off with "ciao, ciao", which is very common in Brazil and also in the Italian language, but they usually just say "ciao" just once.

It is a full duplex phone conversation so somebody has one end of a long range cordless phone in the UHF satcom uplink band or is purposely rebroadcasting the conversation.
prcguy

blhamlin

Mancow, 251.275 is known to be a downlink for SDS 3-F5 at 10 west. But from where you are located that might be a bit of a stretch, so not sure where that could be coming from as far as the CONUS area. Difficult to know when they relocate birds or where they place new sats since they don't announce that sort of information.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
After listening to it again, it does sound like they are speaking Spanish with bits of Italian words thrown in like ciao, grazie, and prego. I'm getting the Italian more from the lower audio voice.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Portuguese as spoken in Brazil sounds a bit like Spanish, Italian and a little French combined.
Heh, that's how I end up identifying Portuguese. My ear picks up on what sounds like French, but then I don't understand what's being said. I wonder which flavor of Portuguese does that to my ear. Perhaps it is out of Brazil as you noted. Time to investigate.

brandon

Database Admin
Caught more Italian phones on this freq. It's definitely coming from a CONUS slot based on signal when viewed on the SDR.

Audio: 251.275-Italian.mp3

I'd be curious to know which sat this is. Other freqs possibly related to it:

K2RNI

Just to chime in on an old thread for anyone else stumbling upon this like I am, it might not even bee satellite at all. Senao was very popular as well as Alcon to a lesser extent for making long range cordless phones. The Senaos were up to 5 watts and Alcons had some big base stations putting out 45 watts of power as well as mobile units for the car that also put out 45. Fine in Japan but very Illegal in the USA and lots of other places but Senaos have been popular and used all over the world anyways.

The base would be at some random frequency on 250 and the handset/mobile did anywhere from 350-390. They don't make them anymore but if you're lucky to live in region 2 Engenius makes the Durafon 1x and I find it to be better than the 3-5 watt Senaos though nowhere near a 45watt Alcon base obviously. 700mw or so of power and the company also offers a couple of 3dBi and 6dBi external antennas with 30 or 60 feet of LMR400 and the handset has an extra antenna that you can swap on it thats longer. Though even with the default base and handset antennas it gets pretty far. Very nice for extending the landline out for storm spotting or when cellular goes down. Hooks up with a BGAN terminal just nicely too for satellite comms.

mm

Been hearing many 263 MHz Portuguese xmissions up hear in the Pacific Northwest for the past week while operating mobile with a simple quarter wave whip and a new radio.

Most traffic seems to be centered around 263.58 but also hearing daily other sigs between 263.5 and 263.9 MHz.

My mobile and base receive setup is simple, I discovered that the Yaesu FT7900 dual band mobile has an excellent receiver between 200 and 384 MHz, in fact it beats my Wulfsberg Rt5000's receiver in the same 220 to 400 MHz range.

With the Wulfsberg I need to run a homebrew .5 dB Skyworks LNA with TX/RX switch and the same quarter wave whip to equal the FT7900.

While the FT7900 is very sensitive by itself for the milsats with the quarter wave mobile whip and so far no Intermod issues either when receiving in the 200 to 400 MHz Range.

But of course the Wulfsberg transmitts across the entire 29.7 to 960 range so it still has it's place even if it is 22 years old.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Maybe some Romanian? Romanian Language is a mix with Italian and some other Languages.
(Thats why so many Romanian travel with Stolen Italian Passports.)

Status
Not open for further replies.