First amateur radio in geosynchronous orbit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
First amateur radio in geosynchronous orbit will aid disaster communications

December 22, 2015

Researchers at the Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology are preparing to send an amateur radio transponder into a geosynchronous orbit in 2017.

"Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, a new ham band will be available for the Americas," said Robert McGwier, a research professor in the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Hume Center's director of research. "It will allow rapid deployment to disaster areas and support long-haul communications for first responders."

This would be the first amateur or "ham" radio payload in a geosynchronous orbit, and would significantly enhance communications capabilities for amateur radio operators, in particular following natural disasters or other emergency situations. The Hume Center team met with Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Craig Fugate in September to discuss the project.

There are more than 2 million amateur radio operators around the world, and the community has a long history of assisting with emergency communications when traditional communications networks collapse, because they typically rely on cell towers and the Internet. Ham radio signals require only compact, mobile equipment that can be easily transported to an emergency site.

"Hams show up at every disaster, no matter what," said McGwier, referring to amateur radio operators. After events like Hurricane Katrina and the Indian Ocean tsunami, "for days, the only way that people communicated out of those communities was amateur radio."

In fact, the Federal Emergency Management Agency signed an agreement in 2014 with the American Radio Relay League, also known as ARRL, that describes how the two organizations will work together to provide disaster relief, and the Federal Communications Commission has specific regulations authorizing the use of amateur radio in situations which threaten life or property.

But even amateur radio isn't always available.

Currently, most amateur radio operators communicate by bouncing their signals off the ionosphere. Solar flares, geomagnetic storms, and other events that change the condition of the ionosphere can affect the efficiency of radio signal propagation, making it unpredictable.

Sending radio signals to a satellite, instead, would be much more dependable, allowing radio operators to help emergency personnel reliably access supplies, logistical support, and medical assistance. They key is to ensure that the satellite would always be accessible to the radio operators—which is why the geosynchronous orbit is critical.

A geosynchronous orbit has the same period as the Earth's rotation—just under 24 hours. A satellite in such an orbit is easy to locate and access. In this case, the satellite will always be within a band of longitudes over the Americas, continually accessible to any amateur radio operator there, including the students and researchers at the Virginia Tech Ground Station.

The satellite itself will be operated by Millennium Space Systems on behalf of the United States Air Force; the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation, also known as AMSAT, will operate the radio, which will be designed and built by Virginia Tech students—making this project a unique collaboration among the university, nonprofit organizations, private companies, and the federal government.

The Hume Center team is also engineering a ground terminal that emergency personnel could use to relay their own existing communications channels through the satellite. This setup could be deployed through the American Radio Relay League and the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation as a key part of a robust national emergency response system, allowing trained operators to reliably mobilize to disaster areas in the first critical hours after a devastating event.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

December 22, 2015

Researchers at the Ted and Karyn Hume Center for National Security and Technology are preparing to send an amateur radio transponder into a geosynchronous orbit in 2017.

"Seven days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, a new ham band will be available for the Americas," said Robert McGwier, a research professor in the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and the Hume Center's director of research. "It will allow rapid deployment to disaster areas and support long-haul communications for first responders."

This would be the first amateur or "ham" radio payload in a geosynchronous orbit, and would significantly enhance communications capabilities for amateur radio operators, in particular following natural disasters or other emergency situations. The Hume Center team met with Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Craig Fugate in September to discuss the project.

There are more than 2 million amateur radio operators around the world, and the community has a long history of assisting with emergency communications when traditional communications networks collapse, because they typically rely on cell towers and the Internet. Ham radio signals require only compact, mobile equipment that can be easily transported to an emergency site.

"Hams show up at every disaster, no matter what," said McGwier, referring to amateur radio operators. After events like Hurricane Katrina and the Indian Ocean tsunami, "for days, the only way that people communicated out of those communities was amateur radio."

In fact, the Federal Emergency Management Agency signed an agreement in 2014 with the American Radio Relay League, also known as ARRL, that describes how the two organizations will work together to provide disaster relief, and the Federal Communications Commission has specific regulations authorizing the use of amateur radio in situations which threaten life or property.

But even amateur radio isn't always available.

Currently, most amateur radio operators communicate by bouncing their signals off the ionosphere. Solar flares, geomagnetic storms, and other events that change the condition of the ionosphere can affect the efficiency of radio signal propagation, making it unpredictable.

Sending radio signals to a satellite, instead, would be much more dependable, allowing radio operators to help emergency personnel reliably access supplies, logistical support, and medical assistance. They key is to ensure that the satellite would always be accessible to the radio operators—which is why the geosynchronous orbit is critical.

A geosynchronous orbit has the same period as the Earth's rotation—just under 24 hours. A satellite in such an orbit is easy to locate and access. In this case, the satellite will always be within a band of longitudes over the Americas, continually accessible to any amateur radio operator there, including the students and researchers at the Virginia Tech Ground Station.

The satellite itself will be operated by Millennium Space Systems on behalf of the United States Air Force; the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation, also known as AMSAT, will operate the radio, which will be designed and built by Virginia Tech students—making this project a unique collaboration among the university, nonprofit organizations, private companies, and the federal government.

The Hume Center team is also engineering a ground terminal that emergency personnel could use to relay their own existing communications channels through the satellite. This setup could be deployed through the American Radio Relay League and the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation as a key part of a robust national emergency response system, allowing trained operators to reliably mobilize to disaster areas in the first critical hours after a devastating event.
Maybe im wrong but wasn't AO-40 the first amateur radio in geosynchronous orbit.......

Rred

If you build it, they will come?

Damn few amateurs have any 5Ghz or 10GHz capabilities, much less have BOTH. So I'm not at all certain that putting up a satellite on those bands is going to enable much of anything. And I don't think there's any handy inexpensive source of surplus equipment that hams could use for this.

They'd get a lot more bang for the buck by just using BGAN and other commercial satellite equipment, which can be readily obtained and drop-shipped into disaster areas. Oh, wait...they already have been doing that for years now.

Very odd project.

wd9ewk

Damn few amateurs have any 5Ghz or 10GHz capabilities, much less have BOTH. So I'm not at all certain that putting up a satellite on those bands is going to enable much of anything. And I don't think there's any handy inexpensive source of surplus equipment that hams could use for this.

This is why AMSAT is also designing a ground station that supports the 5/10 GHz operation for this geosynchronous payload. The front page of the AMSAT web site has recent updates on this effort. The idea has been to develop a ground station that would cost either $500 for a kit or $1000 for a fully-assembled system.

They'd get a lot more bang for the buck by just using BGAN and other commercial satellite equipment, which can be readily obtained and drop-shipped into disaster areas. Oh, wait...they already have been doing that for years now.

Very odd project.

Odd, but interesting. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses...

73!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ

Very odd project.

I am already talking about this with some EM folks I know.. It basically a repeater that has a stationary footprint that covers the western hemisphere. Emcomm applications are endless. VOIP, data, ptt voice? All potentially possible.A higher bandwidth geostationary ham sat? Yes please. Build it they WILL come.

Last edited:

Rred

But over five years ago, you could buy a "new dealer intro" kit of three Hughes satellite stations for $1000. The kind that allow someone off-grid to hook up a computer via satellite. So, ignoring retail markups...if you can buy a ground station for commercial networks, or rent one (again, there are disaster logistics plans existing) for less...(shrug)...nice if you're a hobbyist with the extra grand to spend, and still young and healthy enough to deploy with it to where it might be needed.

Not that I have anything against unicorns, I just think ponies can pull carts at a much lower price.(G)

Amateur station requires licensee. Commercial satbox? Just requires a wallet. And will do the same job.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
But over five years ago, you could buy a "new dealer intro" kit of three Hughes satellite stations for $1000. The kind that allow someone off-grid to hook up a computer via satellite. So, ignoring retail markups...if you can buy a ground station for commercial networks, or rent one (again, there are disaster logistics plans existing) for less...(shrug)...nice if you're a hobbyist with the extra grand to spend, and still young and healthy enough to deploy with it to where it might be needed.

Not that I have anything against unicorns, I just think ponies can pull carts at a much lower price.(G)

Amateur station requires licensee. Commercial satbox? Just requires a wallet. And will do the same job.

Hughes, Explorenet, whoever else is notorious for over selling beam capacity. Try and move data during peak(5-10PM) use. Factor in that you are nothing more than a paying customer. Long with usually max 5mb down 750kb-1mb up well, not so useful. Add in that You get no special access and commercial Sat data is not really that great.

As far as cost? Well with hams spending US$2K for an APX V/Ur1 dual band portable, it is not out of the realm of a hobbiest. I guess I have a different view of providing comms for the agency I support.

Frankly if I can provide a VIOP phone to an impacted area, and not use any commercial service from impacted area to a data connection well out of the impacted area, I am way ahead of the game.

You can be assured that if there is a disaster, and a ham group request dedicated sat time of this up coming bird, AMSAT will likely do what they can to keep some or all of the transponder free for disaster comms use. Will Hughes do that for you on one of their commercial paid subscription birds?

I do not know about where you live but I'm pretty sure a non amateur satellite ground station where I live requires an Industry Canada issued station license.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rred

Not necessarily Hughes or whoever, but any of the commercial services should be able to offer bandwidth guarantees, or at least, they can tell you in advance what is available. And a number of rocket launch failures over the last year interfered with plans to add more bandwidth, which is actually reaching limits because there are only so many places to put satellites and there are so many up already.

Commercial satcoms will always be overloaded in an emergency simply because no one is willing to pay to have that much "spare" bandwidth all the rest of the time. Like a telephone (landline or cell) on Mother's Day, you'll get a busy signal. But commercial satcoms were a quiet and successful part of Katrina and Wilma and even the ARC, which had bought ten communications vehicles, was announcing plans to replace them by having a logistics company (i.e. UPS) deploy satcoms when and as needed. The boxes can literally erect and orient themselves as needed, nothing new there.

Relying on a small number of people with unique equipment and training, or, shipping in commercial appliances? There will always be a role for hams, but I can't see one ham satellite doing the heavy lifting as opposed to commercial options.

One of the post-Wilma changes was that cellular telcos now have formal agreements to refuel "all the towers" instead of "just our towers" in an area. The landline system often fails from storm damage, downed wires, and flooded cables, and a celco can bring in generator fuel and 'cows' to maintain or restore service a lot faster. The picture keeps changing, yes, but ham-specific satcoms? I know how well the guys in the EOC would rely on that concept. (Not.)

Nice if it happens, but I just don't see it being a major factor.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
One other item to consider...

Given the fact that radio 'pirates' have escalated far beyond intruding into the HF/VHF/UHF amateur bands, and have off-and-on shown up on DoD UHF satcom, I can only assume the choice of frequencies for this project were picked to avoid some of that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.