Is a GVF Cert worth anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Myk-

I have been doing SATCOM for about 20yr, U.S. Army trained 31S. I want to add some more certs to my resume and have been looking for SATCOM certs. I found https://gvf.org/ which seems like it might be legit but I am looking for any additional info or reviews on them for their certs.

Thanks for any help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I looked at some of the courses and they seem to be pretty good.

I'm not sure what your end goal is. Are you looking for a specific job, or are you just looking to increase your own knowledge for a personal challenge?

If you are looking for work, I can tell you that these sorts of certifications are useful, but don't put too much into a one source until you know what the employer is looking for. I've done a lot of hiring over the years in the telecommunications field. I've seen people with loads of certifications that looked impressive on a resume, but they lacked the "real world" skills or the ability to effectively talk about their knowledge in a mixed environment. I always caution others to not just focus on certifications, as on their own they don't mean as much as the certification body wants you to think.

Some of the best techs I've hired are the ones that came in with minimal knowledge. Some of the techs that come in with a yard long list of Cisco certifications have been some of the worst.

Truth is, there is no replacement for real world, hands on knowledge. Seems like you probably got that from the Army, so you may be in really good shape. Adding a few certifications to your Army skills might really pay off well.

As for the courses on that page, the generic, non-vendor specific ones might be best, unless you were specifically applying for a job that required training on a specific manufacturer system.

Also, web based training can be a mix from an employer point of view. While it's usually good and useful, in the classroom training carries a bit more "cred" in my book. But maybe I'm getting a bit outdated on this stuff.

-Myk-

Thanks for the reply.

I am just liking to add something to my resume and heck if I learn something new I am all the better for it. From the SATCOM side I have done O&M, NOC, satellite controller, taught SATCOM, and help design and build a mobile system for the military.

With all that my only formally training was my Army SATCOM course. I was thinking that if I added some of the certs from the site/org in my original post it might show some continuing education, that I am keeping up with the newer stuff, and civilian SATCOM training. The certs are cheap IMO, 29.99 a month for a year and you can take most of them. The hands on test is under 200.00 so it isn't like they are going to break the bank.

I had not heard of that org before so I started to look for some input on them. If someone knows of a better org or group please let me know. I am currently employed so getting something now is not important.

prcguy

I have the same questions as mmckenna. Are you currently specializing in deploy-able Ku, X-band or big commercial C/Ku stuff, UHF, ?? Are you looking to further yourself in the military or gearing up for a civi job?

I used to be the end of the line guy to interview for one of the largest satellite/direct to home companies in the US for satellite engineering and technician jobs. I can tell you the list of certs, schools and training might help you get an interview but it means little in landing a job. Its the one on one interviews that determines if you get recommended for hire.

I would be showing you the equipment you would be working with and asking what you might do to troubleshoot this or that kind of problem, how you might align and cross pol a linear pol ant, or tune up a phase combined HPA and other things that you could only answer from actual experience. I would be looking for in depth explanations and not simple yes or no answers. It only takes a minute or two to see if your resume is full of BS or if you might actually know what is claimed.

If the courses you want to take will give you more knowledge on systems you might encounter in your next job then it might be a good idea, especially if you get hands on experience. Many book courses with no hands on will get you some certificate but you will probably not retain the info or be able to convince someone that your an expert at it without lots of hands on.
prcguy

Last edited:

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
You guys might appreciate where I used to work- right across the parking lot from the former Conus Communications. When I began in 2009, the Conus control room was like a time capsule. It looked as if the operators just picked up and left, leaving all the equipment in ready-like condition. There are still remnants of USSB in the building. I've included a few pictures. The last one's my home setup.

Attachments

• 6A2E89FE-B6E4-4D27-B41A-944C57208693.jpg
    6A2E89FE-B6E4-4D27-B41A-944C57208693.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 5317CF7A-AF10-4E38-A203-BD0545AB2697.jpg
    5317CF7A-AF10-4E38-A203-BD0545AB2697.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 429
  • 03A84EF9-474E-4C64-9021-9914DE66D539.jpg
    03A84EF9-474E-4C64-9021-9914DE66D539.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 435
  • D0A45277-1E8C-4C41-A76B-56B7527E4394.jpg
    D0A45277-1E8C-4C41-A76B-56B7527E4394.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 442

prcguy

Interesting subsystem control panel made by Hughes. That would date to the mid 1990s, and even DirecTV which was owned by Hughes at the time did not have any Hughes made stuff like that. Hughes Network Systems was doing some similar stuff for narrow band data circuits but not for direct to home video that USSB was responsible for.

That uplink truck looks really old. Is the antenna on that thing still able to get licensed? Is there still a building there with big uplink dishes inside pointing up through a Teflon like ceiling material that passes RF?
prcguy

You guys might appreciate where I used to work- right across the parking lot from the former Conus Communications. When I began in 2009, the Conus control room was like a time capsule. It looked as if the operators just picked up and left, leaving all the equipment in ready-like condition. There are still remnants of USSB in the building. I've included a few pictures. The last one's my home setup.

jslatten

Interesting...I used to work for Hughes Network Systems at one of the big oil companies. Those dishes and control panels remind me of what was used there about 10 years ago. We operated one of the transponders on their satellites to provide all communication for their network. I believe their main dish was a 6.8m dish and there was an array of smaller, lower power, dishes.

Last edited:

prcguy

Did you ever work with a Brazilian guy at HNS corporate with a last name of Ferreira? Did you ever deal with with a Hughes UMOD? I was able to keep one of those things running for almost 20yrs.
prcguy

Interesting...I used to work for Hughes Network Systems at one of the big oil companies. Those dishes and control panels remind me of what was used there about 10 years ago. We operated one of the transponders on their satellites to provide all communication for their network. I believe their main dish was a 6.8m dish and there was an array of smaller, lower power, dishes.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
Interesting subsystem control panel made by Hughes. That would date to the mid 1990s, and even DirecTV which was owned by Hughes at the time did not have any Hughes made stuff like that. Hughes Network Systems was doing some similar stuff for narrow band data circuits but not for direct to home video that USSB was responsible for.

That uplink truck looks really old. Is the antenna on that thing still able to get licensed? Is there still a building there with big uplink dishes inside pointing up through a Teflon like ceiling material that passes RF?
prcguy

I think the truck was probably used up until about a few years ago. I'm guessing Eutelsat licensure and the like would probably be a challenge. I believe I've read in other forums that that RF absorbing material on the sides of the dish came about after the space segment spacing reduced.

All the dishes at Hubbard are on top of buildings, rather than aiming up through a Teflon ceiling. I like that idea, though.

prcguy

The wings with absorber will do nothing for 2deg satellite spacing and was probably to reduce RF exposure to users or partially shield the feed/LNB from terrestrial interference.
prcguy

I think the truck was probably used up until about a few years ago. I'm guessing Eutelsat licensure and the like would probably be a challenge. I believe I've read in other forums that that RF absorbing material on the sides of the dish came about after the space segment spacing reduced.

All the dishes at Hubbard are on top of buildings, rather than aiming up through a Teflon ceiling. I like that idea, though.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
The wings with absorber will do nothing for 2deg satellite spacing and was probably to reduce RF exposure to users or partially shield the feed/LNB from terrestrial interference.
prcguy

Yes. I don't know what I was thinking with the 2 degree spacing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.