ISS Listening With a Whisler scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiPerson

Hi, I have a whistler desktop scanner and would like to listen to sattelites and the ISS. What do I need (like antennas exc.) and what are the frequencys? Thanks

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Here is a link to information on the amateur radio frequencies:

ISS Frequencies | ISS Fan Club

I often can pick up the ISS with just the back of set antenna. A better antenna will improve things a lot. I have a simple 2 meter J-pole outside and it makes a big difference. There are several antennas (both commercially available and homemade) that are designed for satellite use. An internet search for '2 meter (or 70 cm) satellite antenna will give you lots of hits. the QFH is thought highly of as it can be used for satellites and ground based listening (and transmitting if you are a 'ham"). There is some loss due to cross polarization but most local FM 'targets' are strong enough to make it a good compromise.

You also need to know when the ISS is in range and there are several sites that track it or you can get the software to do it yourself.

One suggestion I have is to put your receiver in manual on the downlink frequency and open the squelch all the way -weal signal work requires different methods.

Good luck -it may take several passes before you hear anything. depending on your antenna's pattern 'higher' passes may not improve. the signal

wtp

personally

i have heard them on a uniden 396T with a radio shack 800 Mhz antenna on it.
but lately i have not heard anything.
the best frequency was/is 145.825 and is for packet.
i do not decode or transmit but hear the ' one second brrapp' noise when they are near.
you have to know when they are in the area and i use amsat for that.

AMSAT - Satellite Tracking

they can be hundreds of miles away and you can still hear them.
like if they are over arkansas and i am in florida.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at Radio Reference. You can find a great deal of info there, including frequency searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.