Brazil Pirate over Europe?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi
Its possible that Brazil Pirate here over Europe?
Strong Signal on 265.350.000, 265.551.000, 267.050.000, 267.549.000

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I cant believe in it.

Of course you can't....you never accept anyone's answer, even when they make perfect sense. The pirates are not limited to Brazil, although that seems to be where the highest concentration is. They are all over the globe. As long as the angles and atmospherics are right, you could be hearing Brazil, or you could be hearing Portugal or even someone from Brazil that is in your or a neighboring country.

Your_account

Banned
Thats becouse in Western Europe the Gov have hearing Posts who Monitor the RF Spectrum.
Priates have to be very stupid to transmitt over a longer period of Time.
So the chance that the People from Portuguese are lower than Brazilians.

I hear something who sound like Italian but no i dont think the are from I the chance is very hight that the are from Romania.

prcguy

The US has four major UHF satellite locations around the earth. One is at 22.5 deg West, which is within view of Brazil and EU. The look angle to this satellite location from Vienna would be 23.5 deg elevation and a magnetic compass heading of 222.7 deg. That is low enough to pick up with a good omni directional antenna.

My opinion is you are receiving people in Brazil through a US military satellite.
prcguy

Your_account

Banned
My opinion is you are receiving people in Brazil through a US military satellite.
Thats what i say...
Sure I could not believe that Portuguese use UHF Satcom Sat hat much because here law enforcement monitore Terrestrial Transmission.

Where are you from? Europe?

majoco

Stirrer
If you point your uplink dish or narrow beamwidth yagi antenna at the satellite, the 'law enforcement' people won't be able to receive it unless they happen to fly in front of it.

prcguy

Are you referring to transmitting or receiving? If you transmit or uplink to a satellite, satellite owner/operators can pinpoint you to at least your city and sometimes within 25mi or less by interferometry from thousands of miles away. I've seen this done first hand by Intelsat.
prcguy

If you point your uplink dish or narrow beamwidth yagi antenna at the satellite, the 'law enforcement' people won't be able to receive it unless they happen to fly in front of it.

Your_account

Banned
I dont want to transmit anything on the Sat.
I was just wondering why I here Portuguese Language on the Sat.

Your_account

Banned
I dont want to transmit anything on the Sat.
I was just wondering why I here Portuguese Language on the Sat.

stationswl

On the frequency 261.200Mhz there are a group of Italians both in FM and in digital.
They are operated by fixed station (home) and mobile (boat and car).
I have counted about 10 operators (radio amateurs) and are very competent in electronics and self-construction. Designing antennas with software simulators, building duplicators of frequency, radio amateur modification and amplifiers.
Very interesting discussions in several hours of the day and some of them have residences in other European countries.

Sorry my english

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
I was thinking about a 'pirate' transmitting to the satellite, would his uplink be receivable on the ground? I doubt it.

I have counted about 10 operators (radio amateurs) and are very competent in electronics and self-construction.
Which satellite? Hams have their own satellites or using another as a carrier (OSCARs) but a ham wouldn't risk his licence by being a 'pirate' on a MilCom satellite.

prcguy

Yes, I've measured both C and Ku band uplinks at quite a distance from the transmit site. I had to do terrestrial interference measurements on a C-band uplink I was responsible for and at a mountain top site about 40mi from the satellite uplink facility there was a surprising amount of signal available to measure. This was using a simple 20dB gain horn antenna for receive and picking up off the side of a large transmitting dish 40mi away.

Our company also had a defective piece of equipment at a remote location where it was supposed to be off air but was accidentally uplinking a small signal on the wrong frequency. The satellite provider contacted our remote site on behalf of the company receiving interference and they were able to pinpoint the location of our uplink very quickly via other satellites.

They contacted the engineer in charge of the suspected site who claimed the uplink was off air, but in fact it had a problem and was transmitting without his knowledge. A few days later the engineer and other employees wondered what that helicopter was doing hovering over their site and a little while later the FCC was at the door. They had taken the information from the satellite operator and did final direction finding from a helicopter.

In the end it was an unfortunate accident and no fines were levied to my knowledge. Two lessons learned here, one being don't underestimate the power of large satellite providers and the FCC and the other is check your stuff thoroughly when someone says you may be causing interference.

A UHF milsat transmitter would also be picked up quite a distance away line of sight, even off the sides and back of the transmit antenna.
prcguy

I was thinking about a 'pirate' transmitting to the satellite, would his uplink be receivable on the ground? I doubt it.

Which satellite? Hams have their own satellites or using another as a carrier (OSCARs) but a ham wouldn't risk his licence by being a 'pirate' on a MilCom satellite.

stationswl

It is logical that they transmit from the ground.
261.200Mhz is a Skynet 5B satellite transponder and use it as a simple repeater.
They do not use dual polarization but horizontal polarization (yagi) antennas or simple vertical (from boat or cars).
Lately they are experiencing portable radios with a simple vertical antenna mounted on the radio itself, 5 watts, with excellent results.
Really Incredible.

Your_account

Banned
On the frequency 261.200Mhz there are a group of Italians both in FM and in digital.
Are you from the Italian Speaking part of Schweiz?
I would say Sicral/ Comsat BW
The Ham Sat are a joke. Operate only in the Ghz Range or fly on a lower orbit who require an antenna with an motor.
When you use a Trivec and a Handhelt Radio you can put everything in your bag in under 2 Minutes.

A few days later the engineer and other employees wondered what that helicopter was doing hovering over their site and a little while later the FCC was at the door.
The good thing here the dont have have Heli like this.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
The Ham Sat are a joke.
Hardly.

They are cost-effective, well designed and built, largely by volunteers and personally financed, and serve the worldwide radio amateur community.

How much do you think it would cost for a satellite in geostationary orbit, with onboard motors and fuel capable of holding it's designated position for up to 10 years?? And to provide the same worldwide coverage, multiple satellites would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.