Mission Control / International Space Station Communications

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
I watched a YouTube video a few days ago about mission control in Houston. I have been curious about how mission control communicates with the ISS. I’m sure its all encrypted in some form, but could someone elighten me on how communications takes places between mission control and the International Space Station?

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. Thank you for sharing the link. I dont know anything about satellite communications. Can voice communications be monitored?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Looks like they are using stuff well above 1gHz, and it's beamed up direct to the satellite, so I think it would be difficult.

Also, I suspect NASA would be intelligent enough to encrypt any of the good stuff, especially when lives depend on it.

I'd be interested to know if there are other means of communications that back up the TDRS. I'd suspect their would be. I know they use some UHF stuff for short range work.

KG5HHS

Premium Subscriber
That doesn’t surprise me. I figured it was worth a shot to at least ask though.

DCHarris

Communication also takes place from Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, Alabama. My younger daughter was thinking of attending the University of Alabama at Huntsville, so on our tour of the school, we took a day to explore the space center and tour Redstone. While we were going through the Communications Center, one of the communicators, who was getting off shift, saw our group looking in at them through a large window. He came into where we were and talked to us about 20-30 minutes, answering any questions we had.

Status
Not open for further replies.