background music providers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrabbyMilton

With the easy ability to obtain whatever type of music you want thanks to the internet, are there still any companies out there that transmit background music via satellite to places such as stores, office building, doctor's offices etc.?
MUZAK as we knew it from what I have been able to gather is pretty much gone and other companies use internet based programming.
(I'm excluding SIRIUS XM since that's available to the general public but rather the so called old guard background music type setting).
MUZAK started transmitting via phone lines, then SCA followed by direct satellite feed so the internet seems to be the most logical step for those that use the similar market base.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think some commercial FM stations still use sub-carriers to broadcast background music. It requires a special receiver but can be amplified as necessary to suit the installation.

KQ4BX

Premium Subscriber
I listen to Iheart radio, and more specifically The Vinyl Experience, and it is commensal free, if you don’t count the breaks to talk about music, musical groups, and influences they had on the music industry , just before playing one of their songs. They also give tips on how to play records on a turntable, by adjusting the levelness of it, and how what you sit the turntable on effects the tone of the music. I get it for free on my Grace Digital internet radio. It is one of the stations I use to wake up to when I worked. I really love the wide range of artists they cover on that station. You can hear it on an Amazon Echo, or Dot, just ask for - Alexa Play “I-Heart Radio, The Vinyl Experience”

prcguy

I was in satellite broadcasting for about 17yrs. In that time my company went through several music providers from Music Choice to XM and DMX to rebroadcast to our customers. Not sure if you can get any of these besides Sirius/XM direct from the provider.

In the early years everything was broadcast over satellite to cable and other satellite providers and the last equipment I worked with was a bunch of desktop computers used as music servers where they sucked up music delivered over the Internet and played out for a couple of days before sucking in more music. There is also separate data transmitted with the music so your on screen TV guide will show the current song playing. We even had a CD player with CDs provided by the music company in case of a huge system failure so we could at least stream something to our customers. That CD player might have been used once with a CD from my wedding band that might have gone out to our customers. Or maybe not.....

The quality of the audio was also sub par in my opinion, only useful for background listening.
prcguy

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
With the easy ability to obtain whatever type of music you want thanks to the internet, are there still any companies out there that transmit background music via satellite to places such as stores, office building, doctor's offices etc.?
MUZAK as we knew it from what I have been able to gather is pretty much gone and other companies use internet based programming.
(I'm excluding SIRIUS XM since that's available to the general public but rather the so called old guard background music type setting).
MUZAK started transmitting via phone lines, then SCA followed by direct satellite feed so the internet seems to be the most logical step for those that use the similar market base.

Lots of places are using the Internet for their music. Many juke boxes (i.e., Waffle House) use it for their wide variety of customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.