ISS to be active on SSTV in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have observed a few images posted already on issfanclub.com
https://www.issfanclub.com/

ARISS Russia is planning a special Slow Scan Television (SSTV) event from the International Space Station in celebration of Cosmonautics Day.

The transmissions are to begin on April 11 at 11:30 UTC and run through April 14 ending at 18:20 UTC.

They transmit on 145.800 MHz. I believe they are using PD120. I recommend you record the passes for decoding in case the live capture has issues.

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
got to hear the bleeps.
i really have to get some stuff for sstv

Get an audio cable and download MMSSTV. Cable from reciever to line in choose line in on MMSSTV and away you go. Very easy to setup as its all audio. Generally if you can hear it you can decode it.

dragon48

Anybody on the east coast of the U.S. getting any pictures? I've been tuned in since it started and nothing yet. It looks like NYC got a few good passes and I'm surprised that I haven't picked up anything.

royldean

I'm in eastern PA (Philly subs) and got several pictures yesterday. You are using 145.800 MHz, FM? The signal is strong enough to be picked up on an HT or scanner with typical antenna's. What site or software are you using for tracking? I recommend:
Sat Passes

Click on the oval button next to "FM Digital Sats" on the right, then on the first listed line item that says "ARISS". In the upper right corner it will give you a countdown to Acquisiton of Signal, and the compass direction of where the ISS will be coming from. It will continue to update realtime during the pass.

[edit] there is a 74° pass (for eastern pa, at least) at 1:05 this afternoon. That will be your best bet today. Good Luck!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The higher the pass, the cleaner the signal will be and the longer time you will have to copy a picture...Mike

dragon48

I'm in eastern PA (Philly subs) and got several pictures yesterday. You are using 145.800 MHz, FM? The signal is strong enough to be picked up on an HT or scanner with typical antenna's. What site or software are you using for tracking? I recommend:
Sat Passes

Click on the oval button next to "FM Digital Sats" on the right, then on the first listed line item that says "ARISS". In the upper right corner it will give you a countdown to Acquisiton of Signal, and the compass direction of where the ISS will be coming from. It will continue to update realtime during the pass.

[edit] there is a 74° pass (for eastern pa, at least) at 1:05 this afternoon. That will be your best bet today. Good Luck!

Yes, I tune in to 145.800 FM.

Thanks for the link—I'll check it out.

I like to track, but don't need to. I just leave my radio plugged into my tablet with MMSTV running.

I picked this up today at 1:12 P.M. This is a ton of fun!

QpWaBBy.jpg

jparks29

John McClane
LOL. I misread the title...

I was like.... 'What does ISIS need SSTV for? There are easier ways to spread propaganda!'

Hahaha

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Fun for the entire family!

A Kenwood TH-D74A does make it easy with its ability to record wav files directly for decoding later. Previously, I would record the audio using a phone app and decode it later. I prefer the iPhone SSTV app by Blackcat but MMSSTV and RX-SSTV also work fine and are free for use on Windows. There is Multiscan 3B for OS X.

I do not roll the freq. up/down and just leave it on 145.800 MHz, so a slight slant on this pic.

N2YO.com will provide you with realtime tracking and predictions after you set your geographical location. Also, make sure you select "all passes" on the prediction page. In fact, you can have N2YO send you a text message or email alerting you to an upcoming pass.

Attachments

• IMG_1040.JPG
    IMG_1040.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 183

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Are there any apps on the iphone to record it on?
Sure, and it is already installed on your phone as one of the default programs. It is called "Voice Memos".

Attachments

• IMG_1042.JPG
    IMG_1042.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 146
Status
Not open for further replies.