Win96 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not i am sorry..I need help in removing this program, my friend has the full version and i have the 30 day trial one...I have tried removing this program from my computer, including going into the regedit and removing all licenses, and keys assc with the program, when i went to install my friends copy, it was still saying that my 30 days have expired...Now apparently this program "dumps" other files that that are renamed to something else, or it drops a key into a sector with no data..So my question is how can i install my friends full version onto my comp and get rid of all the files with the Win96 software, I would purchase this program straight out, but my hours have been cut from work and i at the moment i can't fit this into my budget, so a friend that is helping me out said i could use his...I am not trying to promote piracy or any other means here, i may only use the program 4-5 times in a month, but when i do use it, its important...Any help would be cool, yes i have tried contacting Don Starr by e-mail but no answers... Any help??

lost_in_maine

I need help in removing this program, my friend has the full version and i have the 30 day trial one...I have tried removing this program from my computer, including going into the regedit and removing all licenses, and keys assc with the program, when i went to install my friends copy, it was still saying that my 30 days have expired...Now apparently this program "dumps" other files that that are renamed to something else, or it drops a key into a sector with no data... Any help??

Why not just spend the 30 bucks?.....you buy a nice scanner, can afford that, then try to hack the program?...
I may use Win96 a few times a month too, but it was $ well spent!

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I am not trying to hack the program by any means i am just trying to get it off the comp, so i can install my friends, unfortunately i don't have the extra 30 bucks to purchase the program, or i would, at the time when i bought the scanner my job was fine but now times are tough...

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Don't get it do you? Your friend's license is not transferrable to you so it is just theft. Your job situation is no justification to steal software.

lost_in_maine

I am not trying to hack the program by any means i am just trying to get it off the comp, so i can install my friends, unfortunately i don't have the extra 30 bucks to purchase the program, or i would, at the time when i bought the scanner my job was fine but now times are tough...

Some authors "may" let you install a second copy if for say "YOU" owned a second PC, like a laptop,

But you are not the original owner, and if you try to install it, a lot of programs use a registration server, and if the IP doesn't match, and after several attempts, your friend "MAY" find his key disabled by the author!
Good Luck!!

bonus1331

The "hidden files" are there exactly to prevent you from what your trying to do.
Save up the $$ or program by hand.
You can't just use someone else's copy of a software program...

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not i am sorry..I need help in removing this program, my friend has the full version and i have the 30 day trial one...I have tried removing this program from my computer, including going into the regedit and removing all licenses, and keys assc with the program, when i went to install my friends copy, it was still saying that my 30 days have expired...Now apparently this program "dumps" other files that that are renamed to something else, or it drops a key into a sector with no data..So my question is how can i install my friends full version onto my comp and get rid of all the files with the Win96 software, I would purchase this program straight out, but my hours have been cut from work and i at the moment i can't fit this into my budget, so a friend that is helping me out said i could use his...I am not trying to promote piracy or any other means here, i may only use the program 4-5 times in a month, but when i do use it, its important...Any help would be cool, yes i have tried contacting Don Starr by e-mail but no answers... Any help??

I agree, you are trying to commit piracy.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Don't get it do you? Your friend's license is not transferrable to you so it is just theft. Your job situation is no justification to steal software.

I am not trying to steal the program ,its called friends helping friends , but i see you don't have that kind...

Some people face hard times at least once their life, i have crossed that path, but it just goes to show the ignorance of some people here, maybe 30 bucks is not alot but to some it could be a meal for a family..Its alright thou, i just know where to NOT ask for help...As for my friend i run by what some of said by him possibly losing his key or the program not working for him, of course i would not want to do that, thanks for the heads up their i do appreciate that, but as for commiting piracy or "stealing" programs ,their are many other ways of doing that, and asking here obviously wouldn't be the place...Besides IF i really needed it bad enough i could always reinstall the OS anyhows , but thats besides the point, i was merely just asking a simple question, wasn't looking to be ridiculed about it...

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I am not trying to steal the program ,its called friends helping friends , but i see you don't have that kind...

Some people face hard times at least once their life, i have crossed that path, but it just goes to show the ignorance of some people here, maybe 30 bucks is not alot but to some it could be a meal for a family..Its alright thou, i just know where to NOT ask for help...As for my friend i run by what some of said by him possibly losing his key or the program not working for him, of course i would not want to do that, thanks for the heads up their i do appreciate that, but as for commiting piracy or "stealing" programs ,their are many other ways of doing that, and asking here obviously wouldn't be the place...Besides IF i really needed it bad enough i could always reinstall the OS anyhows , but thats besides the point, i was merely just asking a simple question, wasn't looking to be ridiculed about it...

It's interesting that you think it's ok to steal $30 from the man who made that software and has given so much to the scanner community.

Where is the line you won't cross? If you think it's ok to cheat someone out of $30, why not $100? Maybe you can get away with even more? If times are so tough for you, you can always sell your expensive scanner.

Hugs and Kisses douchbag.

bonus1331

The issue is one of priorities.
If you can't afford an item at this time then hold off.
I would love to purchase a new scanner and maybe have the deck redone, but hobbies come second to financial responsibilities.
I would hope you would sleep alot better knowing that you didn't steal the work of another man and met your immediate financial obligations.
Your talking about programming software for a hobby you have....not tops on my list.
There's always next month.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I don't see where anyone pointed this out above so I will; there are not two versions of the program. There is no difference (repeat no difference) between the 30 day trial version and what you call the "full" program. Both are exactly the same, both are downloaded directly from Starrsoft (I keep saying both, but in fact there is only one.) You download the program, if you have never used it on that computer then you can use it for 30 days free, after that you must provide the license key. No license key, no way to reuse the program. Oh, wait there is a way, take the hard drive out and replace it (and copy nothing from the old one) and you can then save that $30 you are trying to keep hold of. :roll:

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
The only one that seems to make sense here is bonus,and loumaag very true in everything you say...I am not trying to steal, to answer fmon and grog so i guess your saying you never burnt a music cd or dvd cd disk before either...Well resolved the issue anyhows , and when i do have the extra cash then i WILL be purchasing the program...

SCPD

QRT
Use your friends key, (I think you can use a key twice) or if you're good with a hex editor you can do it that way

Sent from my Motorola G5+

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
How did you find this 9 year old thread???

Anyway, closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.