RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Scanner Programming Software

Scanner Programming Software - This is the place to discuss third party scanner programming and control software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relliott
Quote:
Originally Posted by ve3nsv View Post
What is the most simultaneous instances of the program that people have running?

I had two running flawlessly for my local department. One program for Fire and one for Medical tones. I tried adding a third instance with a separate soundcard for a neighboring department and it seems to be quite buggy and has messed with the recording times for all three instances of the program for some reason.
Why do you need to run multiple instances of the program? I one instance of TTD running with a scanner scanning 4 different frequencies. Freq. 1 our local fire repeater for fire and ambulance page. Freq. 2 neighboring district fire page from two different departments. Freq. 3 another fire dist pages. Freq. 4 neighboring ambulance page.

Has no been a problem with not hearing all pages, it is not a really busy area so simultaneous pages almost never occur. Our department on F1 is priority.

Good Luck!
Rich
I found the same thing with buggy record times with more then two instances.

I need to run multiple instances because of conflicting tones between 3 departments. Right now I am running 3 instances across 2 machines with 2 receivers.

Last edited by ve3nsv; 01-25-2010 at 10:45 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Comand line problems copying files.

After detecting and recording a page and sending the email I would like to be able to copy the audio file just recorded to another directory where a ftp program will automatically ftp it to a location.

I created a batch file that would copy the file from the "page audio" directory to "the other" directory and then delete the file from the "pageaudio" directory. That worked to transfer the file but the emails would never send. In the Help PDF it shows the [p] would pass the path and the [d] would pass the description, I tried in the command line "copy [p][d] c:\fling\pageaudio.wav" and many permutations with the brackets and no brackets. It would then send the emails with attachments but not move the file.

Any ideas as what I am missing?

Thanks
Rich
Old 01-26-2010, 8:30 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by relliott View Post
After detecting and recording a page and sending the email I would like to be able to copy the audio file just recorded to another directory where a ftp program will automatically ftp it to a location.

I created a batch file that would copy the file from the "page audio" directory to "the other" directory and then delete the file from the "pageaudio" directory. That worked to transfer the file but the emails would never send. In the Help PDF it shows the [p] would pass the path and the [d] would pass the description, I tried in the command line "copy [p][d] c:\fling\pageaudio.wav" and many permutations with the brackets and no brackets. It would then send the emails with attachments but not move the file.

Any ideas as what I am missing?

Thanks
Rich
A couple of things for consideration. First, the command line is executed somewhat simultaneously with sending the email, so you may be deleting the file before or while the email portion of the program is trying to attach it. In your batch file, try just copying the file to the new directory without deleting the original and see if that works.

Second, the [d] only grabs the text from the "Two Tone Descriptions" field on the main screen. It does not grab the whole file name.

I still haven't had a chance to look into adding AMR file support, but when I do, I may end up changing some of this stuff around.

Andy
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking I found a workaround!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
A couple of things for consideration. First, the command line is executed somewhat simultaneously with sending the email, so you may be deleting the file before or while the email portion of the program is trying to attach it. In your batch file, try just copying the file to the new directory without deleting the original and see if that works.

Second, the [d] only grabs the text from the "Two Tone Descriptions" field on the main screen. It does not grab the whole file name.

I still haven't had a chance to look into adding AMR file support, but when I do, I may end up changing some of this stuff around.

Andy
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I found a way to delay the copying and deleting of the file in the "Page Audio" directory. I found a sleep utility that will create a delay before continuing. It is found at ComputerHelp.

The batch file is:
@echo off
cd \
c:\sleep.exe 20
copy c:\Pageaudio\*.wav c:\fling\pageaudio.wav
del /q c:\Pageaudio\*.wav

I started with an empty directory in the Pageaudio directory and it works great.

Good Luck!
Rich
Old 01-26-2010, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Excellent way to share!
My local area around Parma Idaho.
Parma Fire Page Audio
I am surprised any of your pages are coming through as the signal sounds like it is right on the threshold and is dropping out from time to time.
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2010, 2:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I am surprised any of your pages are coming through as the signal sounds like it is right on the threshold and is dropping out from time to time.
Most of the pages from this morning is recycled pages fed back into the TTD just to trip the recording to troubleshoot the command line batch file..... I will be getting rid of the bogus pages on posterous, I totally forgot about those.....

Rich
Old 01-26-2010, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Most of the pages from this morning is recycled pages fed back into the TTD just to trip the recording to troubleshoot the command line batch file..... I will be getting rid of the bogus pages on posterous, I totally forgot about those.....

Rich
You could always just use the Com Tekk Tone Generator instead. I believe you get a 15 day free trial, hopefully you get your problem solved before that. :-)
Old 01-26-2010, 3:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
You could always just use the Com Tekk Tone Generator instead. I believe you get a 15 day free trial, hopefully you get your problem solved before that. :-)
My 15 days are long past..... Gonna have to purchase it I think... All is well now it should be running well now!

Rich
Old 01-26-2010, 4:03 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I keep having TwoToneDetect crash on me. I believe it is happening when it detects a tone, but am not 100% sure yet. Once I know a bit more I'll update but in the meantime has anyone had this issue?

I'm using Windows XP SP2 if that helps any.

Last edited by aliby19; 01-26-2010 at 4:06 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 01-26-2010, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliby19 View Post
I keep having TwoToneDetect crash on me. I believe it is happening when it detects a tone, but am not 100% sure yet. Once I know a bit more I'll update but in the meantime has anyone had this issue?
Many users have reported it crashing or freezing after a few days. The solution for me was to schedule a daily reboot of the computer and have it automatically log me in again. Then put a shortcut to the TwoToneDetect.exe in the startup so it will restart automatically once the computer reboots.

Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login

Schedule a restart operation with Windows XP's Shutdown utility

I may also give this utility a shot.

Application Monitor which will help to monitor and auto restart the application immediately if a system crash is detected

It might be a better solution then rebooting.

Last edited by ve3nsv; 01-26-2010 at 4:18 PM.. Reason: Found application
Old 01-26-2010, 9:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
You can also use Audacity to generate test tone sets pretty easily. Generate->Tone in the menu.
Old 01-26-2010, 9:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaknitt View Post
You can also use Audacity to generate test tone sets pretty easily. Generate->Tone in the menu.
Thanks all, finally got it down.... Found the sleep utility that works like a charm, I just have the batch file sleep for a bit before it copies the file to the other directory then it deletes the original WAV file. Then a free utility Fling sends it to my web server.

Great program great support!

Rich
Old 01-26-2010, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks all, finally got it down.... Found the sleep utility that works like a charm, I just have the batch file sleep for a bit before it copies the file to the other directory then it deletes the original WAV file. Then a free utility Fling sends it to my web server.

Great program great support!

Rich
What is the reason for sending the audio to a web server? A few of us are testing this free blog service which allows us to just add an email address to Andy's software and it automatically appears on a personal blog complete with a built in web player. All you would need to do post a link to your blog page on your website and you would be good to go with no extra scripting to worry about.

Click me>>>>>>>> Ontario Fire Pages - Home
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
What is the reason for sending the audio to a web server? A few of us are testing this free blog service which allows us to just add an email address to Andy's software and it automatically appears on a personal blog complete with a built in web player. All you would need to do post a link to your blog page on your website and you would be good to go with no extra scripting to worry about.

Click me>>>>>>>> Ontario Fire Pages - Home
Got the posterous down also for Parma Fire Audio, just kinda one of those things... I wanted to try putting a "Last Page" audio link on the fire department web page. See Parma Fire's page. Small button just below marquee scroller.

One of those "I wonder if I can do that?" things....

Rich
Old 01-28-2010, 9:57 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have on one of my alert computers 3 instances of the software running.. This is using only one sound card and it's mainly for all call and cordination tone outs as center likes to stack these with other tone out's and I didn't want to miss them... I wrote a simple batch file using pskill.exe to kill twotone and restart it every 24 or 12 hours depending on the computer... I have 8 different twotonedetect systems running now and this is how I have been able to sleep at night with out to much trouble... Rebooting the computer every day takes to long.. so just restarting the service works well.

Some stats so far my collection of systems has decoded 5086 tones and sent so far 78434 messages this month alone. I am burning in 2 more 2tone systems now which should launch to the public some time this month.. Only have so much time in the day..

I don't have all my feeds up on twitter/post yet.. but here is what i have.. http://twitter.com/netsound/moses-tweets

One interesting note is lansing fire department doesn't really two tone out in the sense of an AB tone.. They send a 1000hertz tone via the EDACS trunkend system. So I just turn down the squelch in the software and set A for 1000 b for 60 ( line hum ) and it works great.... only falses about once or twice a month but it works well..

I love this program and the fire personal love a backup system just in-case there pagers don't work or they are out of range. The local ARES group uses it as not all there members have minitor pagers... and with one push of there radio they page not only the pagers but all the cellphones..
Old 01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8fsm View Post
I wrote a simple batch file using pskill.exe to kill twotone and restart it every 24 or 12 hours depending on the computer...
Could you post your pskill batch file? Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

START /W PSKILL TWOTONEDETECT.EXE
TWOTONEDETECT.EXE
@echo off
cls
EXIT

Not pretty but works... I named it restart2.bat and put it in the twotone folder. Then using the scheduled tasks i call the file... Also in the advanced properties of the schedule tell it to close the task after 2 mins or you will have a screen full of dos-windows.

One other thing i do for multi-installs is rename twotonedetect.exe to twotonedetect01.exe 02.exe 03.exe and then stagger the restarts so they all don't restart at once.

I am working on a robocopy batch file now that will auto sort by department the files and copy to the server for archive purpose.. I know i have the posterouis sites.. but having my own archives is something I would like as well.. I archive all my scanner feeds 2 ways as well... continuous tape style ( like RR does on theres ) and vox traffic wise.. both are time/date stamped in the files... I keep the tape style 35 days.. and the vox archives for life.. I have archives going back years now..
Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

@w8fsm - Thanks for that.

All -- has anyone tried running TwoToneDetect on Windows Server 2008? If so, did you run into any issues?

Thanks,

-Noah
Old 01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've got it running on a VM on a Server 2008 with no problem. It's using the Server 2008's soundcard.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I have tried emailing my .wav file to posterous. Is posterous supposed to convert to .mp3 or is there a setting in TwoTone for creating .mp3 files. I emailed a .wav file, but it will not play in posterous.