Which software is best for BCD396T?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Which software is best for programming the BCD396T - and soon the BCD396XT?

Very important to me is:
1) Integration with RR premium service for for downloading systems?
2) Ease of use
3) Stability
4) Ability to easily handle 200+ systems

Free vs for a fee is not a criteria.
Ability to support multiple scanners is not a criteria.

It looks like the options are:

ARC396 Basic or PRO (a different version for the BCD396XT)
ProScan
bcTool
FreeSCAN

Feedback is appreciated...

Randy

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I like ARC396 & Bctool for the criteria you mentioned above(personal opinion though).

NOTE ARC396 will not fully do the upcoming BCD396XT (possibly can be used but not to the radios full features).. there will be a new version of ARC released for the 396XT that yes you will need to buy

Note FREEScan seems to be 396XT compatible already (at least according to their website).

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
I've been trialing the software. Not finished yet, but so far ARC396 is the best based on my criteria (IMHO).

Feedback still welcome.

W6KRU

I have been using ARC396, bcTool, and Freescan. They all have weak points and positives. None of them do it all for me and I usually pick the one that works the best for what I want to do at that point in time.

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
Anyone care to comment on the advantages or disadvantages of the different approaches to the database? ARC has a separate file for each system. I think this is the same approach Uniden takes with their software. The other packages - ProScan/bcTool/FreeSCAN all use a single file to store all of the systems.

W6KRU

Anyone care to comment on the advantages or disadvantages of the different approaches to the database? ARC has a separate file for each system. I think this is the same approach Uniden takes with their software. The other packages - ProScan/bcTool/FreeSCAN all use a single file to store all of the systems.

Storing each system in a different file makes it difficult to share files. A local scanner forum decided it might be nice to set up a files section for visitors to the area. I had been using the ARC software and since it used separate files for each system, I loaded bcTool so I could put up a single file. I found that I really liked the logging feature of bcTool.

randybcd396t

Premium Subscriber
I'm still testing.

ARC - Works the best for me for RR imports. I used the ARC996 to simulate the software for the BCD396XT as it is multi-site capable. I'm using ARC 396 for the BCD396T.

ProScan - when importing from a multi-site trunk system from RR for a BCD396T, it will not combine multiple sites (you can only select 1). This requires manually setting up the system, or creating separate systems for each site. Not a problem if I get a BCD396XT which is a multi-site scanner.

bcTool - when importing from a multi-site trunk system from RR, it combines the sites. You cannot keep the identity of the original sites.

FreeSCAN - RR imports work fine. For multi-site systems, it creates a combined site plus it keeps the individual sites. However, I cannot download data from my BCD396T. It starts the download but times out. All the other software I trialed works OK for downloading data from the scanner.

Last edited:

LordJ

I have both the Arc software and Proscan. I wish I would have bought the Proscan first.. I have never used the ARC since I got Proscan. I can control my 996/396/780 all at the same time, programming is easy, recording is simple. Software author frequents his messageboards and always seems to be adding features. The 396xt is next on his list. I have little experience with the RR downloading, but it was not problematic when I used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.