Programming Trunk System in bcTool

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4ZXT

Premium Subscriber
I'm new to listening to trunk system and really trunk systems in general. I understand how they work but my question is how do I program a trunk system into a BCT15 using bcTool?

I've got the system created in the program but as far as putting information in, what do I do?

I have the frequencies in but how do I select the control channels? What about talkgroups, do I enter them somehow or does it just pick them up off the air?

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You would find it beneficial, I think, to get a premium subscription - you could then load the frequencies and talkgroups using the web service. Go to the blue toolbar on the right, float over 'about' and click on the subscription link. You can then edit the freq list and remove anything that isn't marked in the database as a control channel (those shown in red or blue). If however there are no frequencies marked like this, using control channel only won't work well (this is because if the CC moves to a frequency you don't have in your list, you cannot scan the system). You will need to have all the frequencies available, until you (or someone else) posts which ones are the primary and alternate control channels.

Keep this in mind; BCTool is not particularly intuitive about how it goes about indicating which quick keys are actually available. I can't install it here at work, but from memory it's labeled 'group key l/o' - and anything in green is not allocated or enabled, white is allocated and enabled. It's critical to understand how the quick keys work, as this is what will control what sites and groups will be scanned. This is probably where most people have their biggest issues understanding how to get this properly built.

73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.