RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Scanner Programming Software

Scanner Programming Software - This is the place to discuss third party scanner programming and control software.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmon View Post
Using V-Scanner
That's the point we're up to Frank, that's when he gets the errors, when he hits the commit button. The screens you showed, that's where he is at!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM
Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

You will need to press F1 (Exit) after each to send next p500 file.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:40 AM

Default WIN500 Remote request for Google Android OS

Mr. Don Starr,

Since the latest Windows Mobile devices are coming to the market at around $350 carrier subsidized, they probably don't have as large an audience as they once did. The growing trend, other than the Apple iPhone, is Google's new Android OS. With the recent releases of multiple Android mobile devices like the Hero, Droid, and Nexus One which are being called real competitors to the Apple iPhone and possibly the final death of Windows Mobile, have you considered a Win500 Remote Client application for the Google Android OS?

With the cost of Windows Mobile devices skyrocketing, the Android platform is quickly becoming the next generation for mobile devices including slates, tablets, and media players like the Archos 5.

The Android developer SDK is available at Android Developers.

AND maybe as an incentive for you, Google has done two developer challenge contests providing thousands of dollars to the winning developers.

ANTENNAS
2 stock whips
Diamond RH77CA
Homemade 18AWG wire dipole
Homemade 3/4" free-standing copper dipole
AntennaCraft ST2 'Scanantenna'

AMPLIFIERS
Radioshack 15-1170
Old 01-23-2010, 2:44 PM

Default Win500

Please look at my attachment so you can see what I am seeing
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2010, 2:54 PM

Replied in the other thread (let's keep it all in one place).
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2010, 3:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So, as I explained above, you cannot simply load V-Folders into V-Memory from the computer. Every upload goes to V00 (working or active memory) in the scanner. You must then store it into V-Memory from the scanner's keypad before uploading the next file to active memory, which will overwrite the previously uploaded data.

All the V-Folder Management function in the software does is allow you to select and upload the files on the drive without having to open them into the editor first.
Old 01-23-2010, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNF2G View Post
So, as I explained above, you cannot simply load V-Folders into V-Memory from the computer. Every upload goes to V00 (working or active memory) in the scanner. You must then store it into V-Memory from the scanner's keypad before uploading the next file to active memory, which will overwrite the previously uploaded data.
No, that's not accurate.

The way it's supposed to work (i.e. how it was designed, how it works for me and "most" people, and how it has worked since Win96) is that the "Virtual Scanner" interface lets you directly read/write the V-Scanner "folders", without going through the scanner's "main memory".

For example, I can open Win500's Virtual Scanner window, select 20 .P500 files for "writing", and send them all to the scanner in one shot. The "working" memory is not affected in any way - when the scanner reboots at the end of the Win500 V-Scanner operation, it will be running with the original "working memory".

The V-Scanner communication protocol is completely separate from the normal "upload to working memory" protocol, and does not affect working memory at all.
Old 01-23-2010, 3:38 PM
Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd901 View Post
Please look at my attachment so you can see what I am seeing
I got same error with one of my three hookups. Clicking Refresh resolve the issue.

Close/reopen V-Scan dialog produced the same results...two cables and scanners ok while third gave same error requiring clicking Refresh a second time to complete operation.
Old 01-23-2010, 3:40 PM

I have tried probably 50 times and each time same error message. Now one question I use Win Vista 64 bit. Could that be an issue
Old 01-23-2010, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmon View Post
I got same error with one of my three hookups. Clicking Refresh resolve the issue.

Close/reopen V-Scan dialog produced the same results...two cables and scanners ok while third gave same error requiring clicking Refresh a second time to complete operation.
I get the message, as well. Clicking the "Refresh" button, without closing the Virtual Scanner Management window, always resolves the issue.

What is strange about sfd901's situation, though, is that he says the scanner's display never changes... even when I get the error message, and before I click "Refresh" the second time, the scanner is showing me "Remote V-Scanner".
Old 01-23-2010, 3:45 PM

Thanks Don, I appreciate you helping him, I'm BALD!
Old 01-23-2010, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd901 View Post
I have tried probably 50 times and each time same error message. Now one question I use Win Vista 64 bit. Could that be an issue
64-bit Vista shouldn't be a problem (I've been trying this all morning on a Vista 64 machine, with no problems).

However... you're using the RadioShack 20-047 cable... what drivers did you install? The last time I checked, the drivers supplied by RadioShack on the CD with the cable didn't support 64-bit Windows. If you have not already done so, I highly recommend that you install the current driver from FTDI (the manufacturer of the USB-Serial converter inside the cable). Get the version 2.06.00 setup executable from: FTDI here.
Old 01-23-2010, 3:48 PM

Here is another strange thing. TOday I took scanner,my laptop to a Radio Shack guy who owns a Pro106 but programs it without WIn500 software. His had same errors using WIN500. We even tried to swap out the USB scanner cable
Old 01-23-2010, 3:52 PM

I have the updated drivers also
Old 01-23-2010, 3:57 PM

Don is there anything I need to check or uncheck in General or extended settings.
Old 01-24-2010, 8:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks, DonS, for the clarification about the V-Folders feature. I've never been able to get it to work as a method for direct population of the V-Folders in the scanner. I'll fiddle with it some more when I have a chance.
Old 01-28-2010, 1:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Android client

+1. Android support would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWeav View Post
Mr. Don Starr,

Since the latest Windows Mobile devices are coming to the market at around $350 carrier subsidized, they probably don't have as large an audience as they once did. The growing trend, other than the Apple iPhone, is Google's new Android OS. With the recent releases of multiple Android mobile devices like the Hero, Droid, and Nexus One which are being called real competitors to the Apple iPhone and possibly the final death of Windows Mobile, have you considered a Win500 Remote Client application for the Google Android OS?

With the cost of Windows Mobile devices skyrocketing, the Android platform is quickly becoming the next generation for mobile devices including slates, tablets, and media players like the Archos 5.

The Android developer SDK is available at Android Developers.

AND maybe as an incentive for you, Google has done two developer challenge contests providing thousands of dollars to the winning developers.
Old 01-28-2010, 4:07 PM

The only reason Windows Mobile support exists is because all of the following came together at one time:
* I needed to learn a new development environment for my "day job"
* The development environment supported Windows Mobile
* I have a Windows Mobile phone

I don't see this all coming together for Android or any other phone in the foreseeable future.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Don,

I added a Virtual Scanner Management section to the Utah Guide, following my own directions, I get no errors, I hit refresh, it goes into Remote V-Scanner Mode, I hit Commit and it transfers ok, I hit done, it reboots and I'm back to normal scanner operation. But, when I go into V-Folders using the buttons on the scanner to see what's in the Folders, nothing transfered. What am I doing wrong, so I can correct the Guide?

I think I found my problem, I was hitting refresh after I filled in the files to be sent, it worked when I hit refresh first (Remote V-Scanner Mode) then filled in the files.I think the guide is right now.

Last edited by Highpockets; 02-02-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Old 02-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
Don,

I added a Virtual Scanner Management section to the Utah Guide, following my own directions, I get no errors, I hit refresh, it goes into Remote V-Scanner Mode, I hit Commit and it transfers ok, I hit done, it reboots and I'm back to normal scanner operation. But, when I go into V-Folders using the buttons on the scanner to see what's in the Folders, nothing transfered. What am I doing wrong, so I can correct the Guide?

I think I found my problem, I was hitting refresh after I filled in the files to be sent, it worked when I hit refresh first (Remote V-Scanner Mode) then filled in the files.I think the guide is right now.
I was going to ask about that (hitting Refresh between selecting files to write and hitting Commit).

I just tried the sequence in the Utah guide, and it seemed to work just fine.

Tags