FreeSCAN Download question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
The area I'm in is still 100% conventional High Band VHF and UHF so I've had no need to update my 396XT from the 1.08.14 firmware up to the 1.10.00 version. But over the next few months I'll be visiting places with P25's that the update will help out. I figured I'll make it my project for this weekend to get done and mess around with it so I know what I'm doing when I get to the hotel and power up the scanner.

My issue is since I'm a Mac guy I'm completely Windows stupid with my PC laptop I'd be doing the update on so I was thinking about downloading FreeSCAN first to make sure I have a backup of all my settings and programming in case something happens with the firmware update. From looking at it if I follow the instructions here:

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Freescan_downloads

and do the CTRL-D and make sure step 2 is done can I then save and create the backup of everything I have in there or is there a different/better way to save everything in there as a backup in case my being Windows clueless erases everything?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You got the right idea and that should work just fine - however, you're missing a huge step; you will need a USB-serial cable to connect to your laptop. There are many COTS versions that are known to work, with a proviso - I understand some manufacturers are now checking to see if you bought an el-cheapo version (many of which are available on eBay) which can cause issues.

Here's an article that discusses just about all you need to know - including how to get to Device Manager in Windoze (which is where you would diagnose your connection issues)

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

Note that many laptops allocate a port or two for wireless, bluetooth or other devices. It may pay you to look at Device Manager first to become familiar with what you have on the laptop before you do anything

HTH...Mike

One13Truck

Feed Provider
I have the Uniden cable so that part shouldn't be a problem, I hope. I'm more concerned with my huge dislike of anything Windows to have to do it on the laptop. Honestly all I use the laptop for is programming Minitors. I try to interact with Windows as little as possible.

But that download section should work, correct? Or is there another way to save everything as an emergency backup? Not that I anticipate anything bad happening during the firmware update but one thing I've learned with using Windows at work is if it can go wrong Windows will make it go wrong and add on a few additional errors that shouldn't be possible but happened anyway.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
Awesome, sounds good. Anything Windows related other than the Minitor programming that I'm used to now usually scares the Bejesus out of me.. Haha!!! Just wanted to check and make sure I'm reading the instructions right!

TY!!!

Quiet1

Premium Subscriber
@One13Truck

Have you looked at this software?

BCProgTool.tcl TCL/TK Tool

It is similar to FreeScan but will run under Windows, Mac and Linux. Although it is no longer supported it still works great. I am using it under openSuse Linux.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
For sometime now, I will get a invite from FreeScan to upgrade. But it always times out and says it is busy. Is this just reserved for me or is it going around???
Thanks
Ben

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I've never had a problem ever. I suspect you may be pointing to the old website - here is the correct one...

FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

I would also check your firewall and antivirus settings to see if they are blocking the site...

HTH...Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.