Help me decide: ProScan vs. FreeScan

Status
Not open for further replies.

loco-lee

I own multiple Uniden radios and am looking for the ease of programming them all: several BCD996XT & T and several BCD396XT & T.

Assuming I have not exceded the space limitations of the lowest common denominator scanner, I want to be able to create one file and send it to any of the scanners. It appears that FreeScan does this, does ProScan somehow do this?

What version of SOAP (RR Webservice) is being used for ProScan?

What version of SOAP (RR Webservice) is being used for FreeScan?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Both are very good software, but let me make it really easy for you to decide.

If you intend on programming only, then FreeSCAN is the way to go. That's what it was designed for, and it uses the same file format for all supported DMA scanners. Oh yeah, and it's free, so it's a no brainer to download it and use it.

ProScan is fantastic remote control software with a ton of bells and whistles, including programming ability. But, as much as I love ProScan for what it does best, it falls short in the programming department. The interface is not very easy to work with, and more importantly, there is no easy way to use a single database across multiple scanners. Especially if they have different features, which the T and XT models do.

FreeSCAN is a no-brainer for programming and only having to maintain a single file for all the scanner models you mentioned.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And both use the same version of the web service - just presented slightly differently. Every software author does this, and it's not a biggie...Mike

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
And just to be clear, so that no one misunderstands my stance: ProScan is hands down the absolute best remote control and logging software out there for the Uniden DMA scanners. Nothing else even compares. It's worth every penny of the $50 license fee.

When it comes to the programming interface in ProScan, my feeling is that it's there for convenience more than anything else, and I do not use it to maintain the "master" programming for my scanners. Where it does really come in handy is when you have a scanner at a remote location that you need to reprogram, you can download/upload over a remote IP connection. For local scanner programming, stick with FreeSCAN.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Oh and in case you're considering the other option, Butel, don't even bother. Total waste of money for underwhelming software. Also consider that you'd have to purchase three separate software packages from him to support the 396T (ARC396 Basic), the 996T (ARC996 Basic) and 396/996XT (ARC-XT Basic), each of them costing $40. FreeSCAN is better software, better supported, supports every DMA model, and...oh yeah, it costs a whopping $0.00. Did we mention that it's free?

loco-lee

Yes, i know its free, i have tried it. Pretty damn good for the price!!!

The last time I used it did not inherit GPS coordinates correctly, I assume this has been fixed since they are using the latest version of SOAP Web Service v10?

Also, how can I confirm it is really using the latest version of the web service? I tried to download the release notes from sixspot website and the link is broken.

Lastly, is there any software for the 396/996 that is similar to the PSR800 that it will check the database for updates to any systems I already have programmed? I find I keep wondering if my prorgamming is up to date so I start over and that is a pain in the butt since I am trying to cover most of VA, FL, GA, TX and NY states.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't do a lot with GPS coordinates, but if memory serves, in FreeScan, you have to explicitly tell it to bring the coordinates in when the import happens. There are 'enable' checkboxes at the group and site levels, and it's also in the Options tab of the RR import

However it should be pointed out that FS doesn't completely support Location Based Scanning, as it doesn't include support (yet) for dangerous crossings/points of interest programming. ProScan does, and I'm not sure about ARC-XT.

How to tell if you have the latest version of the web service is rather easy - the last major change, AFAIK, had to do with importing freqs from the Nationwide part of the database. I just checked FreeScan, and the Nationwide selection is there.

I don't know of any software for these scanners that has the same 'check for updates' function as the PSR-800. Keep in mind that the 2 are very different - the 800 is reloading an entire copy of the database, while the DMA scanners are loading only parts that you specify. Very different application

Mike

Last edited:

StephenVa

I tried just about all of them available and it came down to proscan and freescan. I went with proscan because for me it was easier to use and I liked the looks of the panel. The extra feature are also nice to have if I ever decide to use them.

Techy

For me I prefer FreeScan. It's enough for what I want it to do. I like the simple interface and I never use much of any other features except to program the BCT15X with. Never had any issues. Plus to be honest with the group here, being un-employed a few months back, the free deal really worked for me. The 15X was a nice gift I had received from a friend. :)

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Freescan

Does anyone know where I can find the freescan and proscan software?

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
I use 2 BCD536HP's, 1 BCD436HP, 1 BDC396XT and a BCD996XT.

FreeScan says "The Uniden BCD436HP and BCD536HP are unsupported and will never be supported." So I gave up on it.

I been using Proscan since 2010. Yea it can't program the BCDx36HP's with it,
(Uniden's Sentinel works good for them and its FREE)
But it now has WIFI Remote Control and Audio for the Uniden BCD536HP. And Bob (Proscan) gives great support.

smason

I only have one Uniden scanner, and since I'm a remote control junkie, Proscan was a no-brainer.
Freescan is great, and If I had multiple Unidens, I'd probably use it for programming.
Who says you can't have both anyway?

Loco, I don't believe you mentioned whether or not you would make use of the remote control/streaming capabilities of Proscan,

Status
Not open for further replies.