software for Whistler WS1040

web service

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

twyntoo65

Premium Subscriber
I'm new at this. I have just purchased a Digital Trunking Handheld Radio Scanner. Whistler WS1040.
I don't understand that I have to purchase software now to download so that I can get my freq.
I'm trying to get Harrison county & Gregg county.
I have purchased RadioReference, when I check and find the software to download my freq. they want $ 39.99. It was my understanding this was free thru the web service if you paid RadioReference.
I am 65 and totally disabled, and this would be a great comfort to listen to.
Any help would be appreciated.
twyntoo@outlook.com

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sorry you misunderstood the ws1040 gre500 gre600 rs106 rs197 all require you to buy software and you also have to become a premium subscriber (the part you have). Not sure but you are not the first person to think this. But the fact is the 3 people that make the software that works with your scanner are not the owners of this site they are members just like you. Uniden bcd436hp and bcd536hp along with the Whistler ws1095 ws1098 trx-2 ws1080 ws1088 and trx-1 all are free to download the database due to deals made with the owner for a fee to use the database here.

DJ11DLN

You can program your scanner manually, but it is in my humble opinion a huge PITA. The software is an excellent investment, which incidentally includes all future updates thereto, and I do not mind at all the Premium Subscription fees. They help keep this place running smoothly. Let's face it, RR is a tremendous resource for scanner and radio enthusiasts of all sorts. And when I need to make changes in programming to my GRE500-type scanners, I can do it a heck of a lot more easily than by using the key pad, or even the software without library import capability.

ulra001

Premium Subscriber
My scanner whistler 1040 says it is empty I do not know to put the program that can be functional.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This poll is meaningless; as I understand it, GRE (the original holder of the patents) would not allow the firmware to be released into the public domain, so anyone that coded software for these scanners had to pay a fee and also had a NDA (non disclosure agreement) in place. So forget any free software, at least in the near future.

There are 3 packages for these radios, and 2 of them - ARC500 and Win500 - have user guides to help you along. The other one is PSREdit500. They are all linked here, along with their respective user guides (if they have one)

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Programming

Software is the only way to go with today's complex radio systems. I have the same radio from the year it was introduced, and I have used Butel ARC500 software with good results. Other than my newest scanners that came with their own software, I have used Butel products on several other radios. A Premium Subscription to RR and good software will save a lot of time and be more accurate than hundreds of button presses if you do it manually.

mikey60

The software listed above will work with the WS1040, WS1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197, PRO-651, and PRO-652. They all use the same data format, although some values are different depending on the model.

Mike

Rammel

Whistler 1040 Programming

.... There are 3 packages for these radios, and 2 of them - ARC500 and Win500 - have user guides to help you along. The other one is PSREdit500. They are all linked here, along with their respective user guides (if they have one)
Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike
Of the three softwares mentioned -
ARC500 - Whistler WS1040 WS1065 RadioShack PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR-500 PSR-600 PRO-106 PRO106 PRO-197 PRO197 PSR500 PSR600 PRO651 PRO652Software not win500 $39.95
WIN500 - Win500: WS1040, WS1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-651, PRO-652, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control $30.00
RSREdit - PSREdit500 - Configuration Editor for the PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, and PRO-197 Scanners $35.00
Which is the "better"? Ease of use, reliability, etc

Any comments, -
I also am new to the Site and a 1040. Thanks for any help. Great Site

lou9155

i just cant understand why people dont do their homework before buying such an expensive piece of electronics. its not as if you go to a store and pluck a scanner off the shelf . you have to buy on internet . any site that sells these scanners has all the info about software and downloading. of course there is extra costs...nothing is free..a little googling and you will find that with your model scanner what the requirements are to get it up and running..anything googled radio related RR comes up as the first search results and all the info for any radio.software is right here..this isnt 1975 people. .......ok rant over..have a nice day

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

RDGDigital

All three come with a 30 day free trial. They are fully functional for those thirty days. My recommendations is to download all three and spend thirty days working with all three. By the end of the free trial period, then you should have a better idea of which one works best for you.

In truth, all three work well, but they all have their quirks. Which one is better is more about which one you're more comfortable with.

Hope this helps.

Rammel

Whistler 1040 Programming

Thanks RDGDigital & iMONITOR for the comments. I think I feel good about either of them but might just try as you suggested - try them

lou9155 - Ease up. We are not all as knowledgeable and in step. I've been away from scanning for a few years and things have certainly changed. My first scanning (actually monitoring) was with a Halicrafter (sp) dial tuneable tube type radio. No extras to get/buy. Recently obtained a UnidenBCD536HP - No extras needed. ( I realize there is a write up here regarding some manufacturers prearranging program software.)

Anyway, things are moving forward. Thanks to RadioRef and all those who have posted.

Rammel

iMONITOR - or anyone

The reading material at PSREdit refers to Serial Ports. Would I be correct in assuming (a foolish thing to do) that this software will work to a USB Port?

Also ( I'm being lazy here ) do you know if the PSREdit is compatible with Win-10

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Yes, works with USB cables (as the scanners have USB-Serial Port conversion circuitry inside of them). You have to install the proper drivers to support the USB cables, that should come with the cable, and/or the scanner.

Windows 10, no problem!

lou9155

Thanks RDGDigital & iMONITOR for the comments. I think I feel good about either of them but might just try as you suggested - try them

lou9155 - Ease up. We are not all as knowledgeable and in step. I've been away from scanning for a few years and things have certainly changed. My first scanning (actually monitoring) was with a Halicrafter (sp) dial tuneable tube type radio. No extras to get/buy. Recently obtained a UnidenBCD536HP - No extras needed. ( I realize there is a write up here regarding some manufacturers prearranging program software.)

Anyway, things are moving forward. Thanks to RadioRef and all those who have posted.

i apologize for being rude

mikey60

The reading material at PSREdit refers to Serial Ports. Would I be correct in assuming (a foolish thing to do) that this software will work to a USB Port?

Also ( I'm being lazy here ) do you know if the PSREdit is compatible with Win-10

The USB programming cable that comes with the scanner creates a virtual serial port. It will work just fine with that cable.

In fact, you may want to check the FTDI web site to see if there are updated drivers for the cable. PSREdit500 will attempt to use direct access of the USB cable if you have the correct drivers for it. Those are available here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm afraid this poll is pointless. Unless GRE (the holder of the original patents) releases the rights to the firmware details, and no longer requires authors to pay a fee and (as I understand it) sign a NDA not to release details of what they find, there will never be any free programming software for these radios, regardless of what Whistler might do

Mike

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm afraid this poll is pointless. Mike

Agreed... seeing that the OP hasn't been back to this thread (or signed into RR) in almost a year since he started the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.