RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Scanner Programming Software

Scanner Programming Software - This is the place to discuss third party scanner programming and control software.

View Poll Results: web service
download to scanner Whistler WS1040 2 66.67%
free software to transfer freq. from PC to Scanner 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 8:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default software for Whistler WS1040

I'm new at this. I have just purchased a Digital Trunking Handheld Radio Scanner. Whistler WS1040.
I don't understand that I have to purchase software now to download so that I can get my freq.
I'm trying to get Harrison county & Gregg county.
I have purchased RadioReference, when I check and find the software to download my freq. they want $ 39.99. It was my understanding this was free thru the web service if you paid RadioReference.
I am 65 and totally disabled, and this would be a great comfort to listen to.
Any help would be appreciated.
twyntoo@outlook.com
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2017, 9:12 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sorry you misunderstood the ws1040 gre500 gre600 rs106 rs197 all require you to buy software and you also have to become a premium subscriber (the part you have). Not sure but you are not the first person to think this. But the fact is the 3 people that make the software that works with your scanner are not the owners of this site they are members just like you. Uniden bcd436hp and bcd536hp along with the Whistler ws1095 ws1098 trx-2 ws1080 ws1088 and trx-1 all are free to download the database due to deals made with the owner for a fee to use the database here.
Old 05-19-2017, 8:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for your reply. I'll pay just to get my scanner programmed correctly.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You can program your scanner manually, but it is in my humble opinion a huge PITA. The software is an excellent investment, which incidentally includes all future updates thereto, and I do not mind at all the Premium Subscription fees. They help keep this place running smoothly. Let's face it, RR is a tremendous resource for scanner and radio enthusiasts of all sorts. And when I need to make changes in programming to my GRE500-type scanners, I can do it a heck of a lot more easily than by using the key pad, or even the software without library import capability.
Old 06-16-2017, 8:05 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My scanner whistler 1040 says it is empty I do not know to put the program that can be functional.
Sponsored links
Old 06-16-2017, 8:38 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This poll is meaningless; as I understand it, GRE (the original holder of the patents) would not allow the firmware to be released into the public domain, so anyone that coded software for these scanners had to pay a fee and also had a NDA (non disclosure agreement) in place. So forget any free software, at least in the near future.

There are 3 packages for these radios, and 2 of them - ARC500 and Win500 - have user guides to help you along. The other one is PSREdit500. They are all linked here, along with their respective user guides (if they have one)

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike
Old 06-16-2017, 9:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Programming

Software is the only way to go with today's complex radio systems. I have the same radio from the year it was introduced, and I have used Butel ARC500 software with good results. Other than my newest scanners that came with their own software, I have used Butel products on several other radios. A Premium Subscription to RR and good software will save a lot of time and be more accurate than hundreds of button presses if you do it manually.