looking for software

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishman75

Premium Subscriber
I have a problem. I am trying to program my Uniden 396. my problem is I only have access to a mac or chromebook. I have used Freescan in the past but it dosn't work with either OS. If anyone could throw me a bone I'd truly appreciate it

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have a problem. I am trying to program my Uniden 396. my problem is I only have access to a mac or chromebook. I have used Freescan in the past but it dosn't work with either OS. If anyone could throw me a bone I'd truly appreciate it

Not sure what you are looking for here.... Are you asking if someone will program your scanner for you?

irishman75

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what you are looking for here.... Are you asking if someone will program your scanner for you?

Not at all. In the past I had used freescan and radiorefernce to program my sanner for me. I recently had to get a new computer (mac) and I'm having difficulty trying to reprogram it. all I have is a Mac and Chromebook. Trying to find a simple solution

marksmith

Simplest solution is to program it by hand without software.

Other than that, you probably need to get a device that uses windows.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

irishman75

Premium Subscriber
Simplest solution is to program it by hand without software.

Other than that, you probably need to get a device that uses windows.

Yeah but I have no idea how to anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Find a cheap older Windows computer. If you can afford the mac tax, another $100 will take care of your problem. I recently purchased refurbished Microsoft Certified Windows 10 off lease computers for my clients in the $125 price range, including a one year warranty.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
Find a cheap older Windows computer. If you can afford the mac tax, another $100 will take care of your problem. I recently purchased refurbished Microsoft Certified Windows 10 off lease computers for my clients in the $125 price range, including a one year warranty.
Does VMware work with mac that could be a option or install a copy of windows using parrells or boot camp. You can get windows to run on a mac just depends how much you want to spend to get there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Windows on mac

A copy of Windows 10 will run about $100 plus the cost of Parallels, and as some have found who use Linux, you may have trouble with USB ports even if the software runs. I would be especially cautious with the new macs, as according to what I have read, they have abandoned traditional USB 2 ports. The refurbished computer will give you the best solution for money spent.

marksmith

You would be better off emulating windows 7 than 10. Windows 10 doesn't play that well with radio drivers, but windows 7 is very good. A windows 7 older computer might also be less.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
You would be better off emulating windows 7 than 10. Windows 10 doesn't play that well with radio drivers, but windows 7 is very good. A windows 7 older computer might also be less.

Yep completely agree with that windows 7 32 bit is almost like having xp and 7 combined. 32 bit will cover alot of the older radios a 64 bit machine wont. Windows 7 32 bit is you best bet for a good programming computer.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Sun's VirtualBox works as well as VMWare or Parallels on a Mac. It's free, and will give you the correct hardware hooks to program a scanner. DO NOT use ANY kind of "emulator" (altho I doubt you could find one anyway) - on modern Mac with an Intel processor, there is nothing to "emulate".

If you want to simply plug something in and use it - buy a $50 Windows laptop

irishman75

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate all the input. And I am a bit of a purist. I don't want to run 2 operating systems on one computer. Too many things could go wrong. I found an old dell e1505 laptop running windows on it (last version before windows 10) so I know it will work. It doesn't need to be terribly fast as programming the scanner is the only thing I need it to do. I just wish someone would write software for a Mac or a Chromebook. I am not tech enough to program it by hand and letting radio reference do it through a program is a no brainer for me. Thanks everyone for their ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.