ARCXT: Saving Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeg_scan

I am a new user of ARC XT for my BCT15X and wondering why there is not a SAVE ALL button or something similar ? Or at least a check for those systems that are 'dirty'.

I am just concerned that all my data is truly being saved .. for example, you can make changes and then exit and it will not prompt you to save anything and nothing will be saved.

That just sounds a bit too dependent on the user pressing save all the time.

I do not want to lose my changes .. or do I just have to click save all the time after doing something as there is no protection from the program.

Also do I have to save my profile at the same time ?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I presume you have done some preliminary work, that being creating a folder for your scanner programming data files and gone through the Setyp>Software Options and selected that folder for saving files to that folder.

With ARC, you are working on/editing one system at a time, though several systems may be open in the browser. When you click on the Save button, with the diskette icon, you are saving only the system you are editing and none of the others. It's up to you how often you save your work. Personally after losing data, I tend to click this button pretty often.

There is another option where you can save all the systems that are visible in the browser, including the one you are working on. That can be found by File>Quick Save all Systems.

System files are stored as .rsf files.

Configuration files really only need to be saved after reading from your scanner and making any changes. That probably is infrequent. There is a Save button in the configuration editor and you can assign it a name as desired. This file type has a cgf extension.

To confirm whether your data is truly being saved, use your Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder you have selected for saving your data files. You should see them there along with the date and time modified.

Since I'm concerned about losing data I've taken a lot of time to create, I do a couple of things. One is to back up my hard driver to an external drive. I also use Carbonite for an off site storage.

I will also make a copy of the folder that I use to save my programming data files. That way if I make some changes that I don't end up liking, I have a way to go back and recover a "good" copy.

yeg_scan

Thank you for the suggestions. It would be nice if there was a 'Save All Systems' button. But at least the menu item is there now and can use it.

I too backup my files to a separate HD for safe keeping. But I do have obviously my scanner to read from if needed.

Unlike some ... I do not have hundreds of systems and likely never will so it will work in the end.

yeg_scan

Thank you Gommert, any chance of a 'Save All' button being added ?

But in any effect .. this is good to know.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If I was a betting guy, they probably only wanted to have one Save icon to avoid confusion for those just learning the software. Particularly since most folks only tinker with one system at a time and should save their work on it before moving on to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.