Win97 not working with my pro-97 or pro-163

Status
Not open for further replies.

miked0130

Hello everyone, this is my first post here, I have read and learned a lot from reading the forums and I am excited to be a part of it!

I have something that I have been struggling with for a long time, and haven't seem to be able to find any answers online...so here it goes.

I have a pro-97 and pro-163, both are said to be compatible with win97. However, I have been unable to get the software to work with either of them. I either get the message saying that there is no talkback, or when I turn that option off in the serial port settings I get the "timeout waiting for header" message. I have tried just about everything on the forums to no avail. I am using windows 10 on bootcamp, does this software just not work on a Mac? Also, I have two cables, neither are radioshack but are FTDI cables, can this be causing the issues?

Honestly, at this point it would have been easier just to enter the freqs manually but I have invested so much time already.

Thanks in advance!

bb911

FWIW, try switching your cable to different USB ports and using different settings in the serial port drop down box. I have to try many times until I get comm 2 or 4 to show up in the drop down. When one of them shows up Win97 invariably works. Comm 3 never works for me.
(Windows 7, Pro 97 scanner).

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Make sure proper port is selected. Make sure radio is on. And that your cable interface box is lighting up. Maybe try moving USB ports around. Welcome to the forums!

miked0130

Thanks guys, I will definitely try using another USB. Now that you says it, I think I was using the same port each time.

How may times did you the try until you got it to work? For me, the issue is not the port showing up (that happens immediately) but rather occurs after that.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
It's the cable

I have a pro-97 and pro-163, both are said to be compatible with win97.
I own at least one of each GRE model scanner and I use the WINXXX series of programs. I can tell you that the software is indeed compatible.

I am using windows 10 on bootcamp, does this software just not work on a Mac?
If the software finds the cable, I think you're good on this point.

Also, I have two cables, neither are radioshack but are FTDI cables, can this be causing the issues?
YES! The cable is everything here. The FTDI aspect is just the host side, emulating a serial port while physically connected USB.

The issue has to do with the tip and ring connection to the scanner. Back in the PRO-97 days TX and RX were connected together. I forget the exact model where they changed this (perhaps PRO-64) they separated TX and RX. The official cable has LEDs in it that show you data is being sent (either direction). When used on the PRO-97 they'll always flash together since the signals are tied together. With the later models, you'll see one side flash, then the other, depending the direction the data is going.

miked0130

Okay so I have an update, and its good news!

I was able to get it to work thanks to gmclam's advice! After trying everything else suggested, I figured I would have to bite the bullet and purchase the Radio Shack cable. Well this did it! Literally I plugged the thing in and it worked. I guess this goes to show that other cables (that advertise as working) DO NOT! I guess I will be returning those other cables now.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.