Linux OS for programming scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldog777

Linux programming

I was looking at a Whistler, 1065. You would think an OS other than Windows could be used. Do appreciate any thoughts on this or a workaround. I got rid of Windows years ago (to include disks).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You're pretty much screwed then. I would suggest getting a cheap Windows netbook and using that specifically to program scanners.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The problem with Linux is often with the USB ports, and even an emulator is useless. I know of no scanner software that is linux friendly, and even most two way radios are Windows based. The only linux software I can confirm for radios is Chirp, which runs under Windows also, but it is directed toward several different ham radios.

nd5y

A couple years ago I installed Uniden Sentinel and Whistler's TRX1 and 2 software on Ubuntu with WINE and they both installed and ran with no problems. I'm not a paid member and don't have the radios so I wasn't able to determine if they would download the database or communicate with the scanner.

I use other Windows software with a USB serial port dongle, including Freescan to program a Uniden BCD396T, all the time on Linux/WINE with no problems.

The main problem people have is their user account not having permission to access serial ports. You fix that by adding the user to the proper group.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
CHIRP does not support any scanners. It focuses on CCRs like the Baofeng and Wouxun.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You're pretty much screwed then. I would suggest getting a cheap Windows netbook and using that specifically to program scanners.

+1 You can buy nice Windows desktops/laptops on Ebay for as little as $50.

I like Linux, but I've lost a lot of hair and sleep, trying to run Windows scanner software in virtual machines, emulators, etc.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Chirp

Chirp also works with many Icom, Kenwood, Alinco, and Yaesu radios as well as the Chinese brands.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Yes, but not any scanners. And it only supports analog radios, no DMR or any other digital formats, and no trunking of any kind.

SCPD

QRT
Wait, wait, wait hold em up fella's ....

You CAN program a scanner on Linux using Comma Separated Value (CSV). Windows aint everywhere. I really love the TRX2 but HATE the software so I contacted whistler tech support and asked if there was another way - Yes they said, and recommended CSV. lubuntu/LXDE support CSV. Try it sometime ....

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You are confusing programming data format with the ability of a software program that can talk to the scanner to run under the OS.

You still need software that will run under the OS to download the data from RR, make any manual edits required, save to a CSV file, and send it to the scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.