Proscan opening when run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roccuschaser

Been checking out software to connect to my Uniden BDC996P2 scanner. I am kind of favoring Proscan.
When I setup Proscan through the setup process it connect from the computer to the scanner just fine. Question is when I start Proscan and the scanner is turned on shouldn't Proscan automatically connect to the scanner? When I start Proscan nothing happens the virtual display does not run. How do you get Proscan to run when you open it??

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I just tested it using a BCD996P2. Stopped and started ProScan. ProScan started communicating with the scanner without user intervention.

roccuschaser

I just tested it using a BCD996P2. Stopped and started ProScan. ProScan started communicating with the scanner without user intervention.
I think I found what the deal is this is a new install.. that is driver from computer to scanner... I had shut the computer down last evening and when I booted it today it looks like the driver did not load for some reason so Proscan could not communicate with the scanner.... I reloaded the driver and proscan connected right away..

While I have you here... you a rep for proscan? Is this the only support you offer for this app? I don't see and support from the web page where I downloaded Proscan which was the Proscan home page. And are all and any future updates free for life? Also can I load Proscan on 2 computers and use the same key?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I think I found what the deal is this is a new install.. that is driver from computer to scanner... I had shut the computer down last evening and when I booted it today it looks like the driver did not load for some reason so Proscan could not communicate with the scanner.... I reloaded the driver and proscan connected right away..

While I have you here... you a rep for proscan? Is this the only support you offer for this app? I don't see and support from the web page where I downloaded Proscan which was the Proscan home page. And are all and any future updates free for life? Also can I load Proscan on 2 computers and use the same key?

That is a characteristic of the driver and BCD996P2. After a computer reboot, the BCD996P2 needs to be power cycled or USB cable reconnected. It happens to the BCD996P2 only.

I make ProScan. Yes all future updates free. Each license allows activation on two computers.
Support here https://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-programming-software/95044-official-software-thread.html
or email.

Last edited:

roccuschaser

That is a characteristic of the driver and BCD996P2. After a computer reboot, the BCD996P2 needs to be power cycled or USB cable reconnected. It happens to the BCD996P2 only.

I make ProScan. Yes all future updates free. Each license allows activation on two computers.
Support here https://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-programming-software/95044-official-software-thread.html
or email.
OK there is something wrong somewhere I did a reboot and Proscan did not see the scanner I went into the comm port settings and did an auto check and it says "Port 4 In Use By This Instance" so I assume proscan sees the scanner but does not connect... I took a look at the driver and it is set at comm 4 so that is ok I unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in and did auto check again and same results "Port 4 In Use By This Instance" I am on windows 7

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK there is something wrong somewhere I did a reboot and Proscan did not see the scanner I went into the comm port settings and did an auto check and it says "Port 4 In Use By This Instance" so I assume proscan sees the scanner but does not connect... I took a look at the driver and it is set at comm 4 so that is ok I unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in and did auto check again and same results "Port 4 In Use By This Instance" I am on windows 7

After a reboot, the BCD996P2 needs a power cycle. That's a driver/scanner thing. The port in use message is because ProScan has the port opened.

For this reason, It's recommended to use the rear port on the BCD996P2

Here is one thread on the subject. https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/359818-usb-not-working-after-pc-reboot.html

{edit}This may be a better thread discussing the problem. https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/345290-bcd996p2-loses-usb-communication.html

Last edited:

roccuschaser

After a reboot, the BCD996P2 needs a power cycle. That's a driver/scanner thing. The port in use message is because ProScan has the port opened.

For this reason, It's recommended to use the rear port on the BCD996P2

Here is one thread on the subject. https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/359818-usb-not-working-after-pc-reboot.html

{edit}This may be a better thread discussing the problem. https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/345290-bcd996p2-loses-usb-communication.html

Thank you just to be sure this is the cable I would need right?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...1523231825&sr=8-9&keywords=null+modem+adapter

roccuschaser

Yes, cable should work with the built in null modem.
Thanls Proscan I got the cable and connection is now working flawlessly, Proscan sees the scanner as it should now without having to fiddle around. I have been playing around with proscan and learning how to use all the features it offers. I am pretty sure this is the software I will use as I like the interface and the attention to detail you have used to build it and your support seems to be first rate... will add money on my card first of next month to pay through PP for registration....

I do have a question for now though.. I have my 996P2 set up just fine but want to set up my BCT15X scanner also... When I connected my 15X and changed scanner type to 15X all the data remained from my 996P2, Proscan did not auto see I had changed scanners. Is their a quick easy way to toggle between scanners? Or even be able to monitor both scanners at the same time?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanls Proscan I got the cable and connection is now working flawlessly, Proscan sees the scanner as it should now without having to fiddle around. I have been playing around with proscan and learning how to use all the features it offers. I am pretty sure this is the software I will use as I like the interface and the attention to detail you have used to build it and your support seems to be first rate... will add money on my card first of next month to pay through PP for registration....

I do have a question for now though.. I have my 996P2 set up just fine but want to set up my BCT15X scanner also... When I connected my 15X and changed scanner type to 15X all the data remained from my 996P2, Proscan did not auto see I had changed scanners. Is their a quick easy way to toggle between scanners? Or even be able to monitor both scanners at the same time?

It's best to run multiple scanners as separate instances of ProScan so each instance will have it's own config including scanner type. Copy the contents of the ProScan folder to a new folder. Click the Auto Detect button in the Comm Port settings. The BCT15X should show if good communications.

roccuschaser

It's best to run multiple scanners as separate instances of ProScan so each instance will have it's own config including scanner type. Copy the contents of the ProScan folder to a new folder. Click the Auto Detect button in the Comm Port settings. The BCT15X should show if good communications.

Copy from the proscan file in programs folder, make new folder also in programs folder? My 15X does connect to the computer and the computer sees it... had to buy a serial to usb cable back when I got the scanner for the X15. what about reg key if I have 2 proscans on same computer will that count as 2 keys so I will not be able to put it on another computer?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Copy from the proscan file in programs folder, make new folder also in programs folder?
Copy all the files in the ProScan folder. Make new folder. It doesn't have to be in the Program Files folder. It can be anywhere.

if I have 2 proscans on same computer will that count as 2 keys so I will not be able to put it on another computer?
Negative. That's one computer which is 1/2 of a license. You will be able to activate the other half on another computer.

Last edited:

roccuschaser

Seeing a couple things with proscan not sure if they are bugs or what... sometime when you make changes or set settings from the data base tab then upload to scanner the changes are not made. For instance I have checked a couple channels to lock out but they do not lock out the scanner does not get set to lock those channels out, then the option to use a color on an alert for the 996P2 screen does not always seem t work. I set one screen to turn green with proscan when the channel is active this worked fine but then I went to try to change it so the screen would turn blue but it will not change it from green I have also tried to set other screen colors for other channels but they do not seem to load into the scanner when I do upload from proscan to the scanner.... I am using windows 7 home...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Seeing a couple things with proscan not sure if they are bugs or what... sometime when you make changes or set settings from the data base tab then upload to scanner the changes are not made. For instance I have checked a couple channels to lock out but they do not lock out the scanner does not get set to lock those channels out, then the option to use a color on an alert for the 996P2 screen does not always seem t work. I set one screen to turn green with proscan when the channel is active this worked fine but then I went to try to change it so the screen would turn blue but it will not change it from green I have also tried to set other screen colors for other channels but they do not seem to load into the scanner when I do upload from proscan to the scanner.... I am using windows 7 home...

I would check for duplicate channels in the same or a different system in the database and the scanner.

When uploading, choose the option "Delete All Systems In The Scanner Before Uploading." to make sure another system with the same channels are not in the scanner already.

Each channel uploads all the parameters on the same string so it's impossible for one parameter to get missed.

You can also download to a temp file after uploading and compare the file using a utility program such as ExamDiff or WinMerge.

Status
Not open for further replies.