ProScan: Setting up Remote Access for BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I am having a problem accessing my scanner remotely. I have never dealt with settings in a router before, so this is new to me. The directions seem very good and I believe based on what I am seeing I have things set up correctly until the port forwarding part. I do have remote access on ProScan's software, from the computer I used to set things up.

I have a Comcast router. When I go to my router settings things are slightly different than the example given in ProScan, of the Netgear router. I have a "Common Service" selection currently selected as "Other", however I think this needs to be changed. My choices are: FTP, AIM, HTTP, PPTP, HTTPs, Telnet, SSH and Other.

There are 2 server address selections. They are IPv4 and IPv6. I have entered the scanner's address in IPv4... because that is where it "fits" (haha). IPv6 has default info in the first 4 blocks that cannot be edited, however the second 4 blocks are empty. I do not know what to place here.

The External Port Range box. Mine has two (Start Port and End Port). I left mine selected to the default of 5000, so I entered 5000 into both start and end. I don't know if I did this correctly, either.

Any guidance would be great!

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
OK, so i have now connected via inside the home network. Still working on setting it up for outside. I am still thinking it is a setting I have wrong in Port Forwarding.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I am having a problem accessing my scanner remotely. I have never dealt with settings in a router before, so this is new to me. The directions seem very good and I believe based on what I am seeing I have things set up correctly until the port forwarding part. I do have remote access on ProScan's software, from the computer I used to set things up.

I have a Comcast router. When I go to my router settings things are slightly different than the example given in ProScan, of the Netgear router. I have a "Common Service" selection currently selected as "Other", however I think this needs to be changed. My choices are: FTP, AIM, HTTP, PPTP, HTTPs, Telnet, SSH and Other.

There are 2 server address selections. They are IPv4 and IPv6. I have entered the scanner's address in IPv4... because that is where it "fits" (haha). IPv6 has default info in the first 4 blocks that cannot be edited, however the second 4 blocks are empty. I do not know what to place here.

The External Port Range box. Mine has two (Start Port and End Port). I left mine selected to the default of 5000, so I entered 5000 into both start and end. I don't know if I did this correctly, either.

Any guidance would be great!

You want to setup your router Port Forwarding. What is the make and model of the Comcast router. I would consult your router manual on Port Forwarding or google it. It may be called something else.

Port Forwarding needs these three items.
1. IP address or name of the computer.
2. Use TCP
3. Port number. 5000 in your case which is the server port.

mule1075

Feed Provider
It is an Arris TG1682G. I'm googling now. Hopefully some luck to follow. Thanks!
I hope you have some luck with it. I had the same wireless gateway as you. Could never get it to work and comcast wants you to jump through a million hoops. I will be purchasing my own modem and using my own router here very soon. Never had any trouble with my old modem and my own router this new modem with the router built in or the wireless gateway they call it is absolute garbage in my opinion.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses.

So, under "Web Server" do I input the address that is listed as "Outside" when I am off my home network? I am thinking that is the case, followed by :5000, however I cannot get this to work. "Local" is listed above the "Outside", and the local is working fine when I am on my wifi network.

frazpo

So, under "Web Server" do I input the address that is listed as "Outside" when I am off my home network? I am thinking that is the case, followed by :5000, however I cannot get this to work. "Local" is listed above the "Outside", and the local is working fine when I am on my wifi network.

I am unfamiliar with Proscan however I have setup numerous items for outside access. Your outside address will be your actual IP address for your internet access at home. Then the port # of course.
Maybe this is what you meant. If you do not know your IP simply check your router or ask google what your IP is.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

Not sure what you mean by "Web Server" Is that in the Router Port Forwarding? Never enter the outside address in the Router. Enter the local machine IP address.

W4ELL

Feed Provider

Image001_07192018_180754.jpg

So, if the pic is an accurate representation of your router's port forward function:

Service Name: Other
Other Service: <Enter a descriptive name here> (ex: 536 Proscan)
Service Type: TCP
Server IP address: The INTERNAL IP address of the computer running ProScan
Start Port: 5000
End Port: 5000

mule1075

Feed Provider
Image001_07192018_180754.jpg

So, if the pic is an accurate representation of your router's port forward function:

Service Name: Other
Other Service: <Enter a descriptive name here> (ex: 536 Proscan)
Service Type: TCP
Server IP address: The INTERNAL IP address of the computer running ProScan
Start Port: 5000
End Port: 5000
Picture is not accurate anymore at least for my comcast modem. They have a clunky Web based way of doing it now. Does not work most of the time.

n0vza

Does your Comcast connection provide a dynamic (changes) or a static (stays the same) IP address for the modems "external" (internet facing) interface?

One way to test - on your computer (inside) on the Comcast LAN side or Wireless side, open a browser, and go to https://www.ipchicken.com/. This web page will display your public facing IP address (what the world see you coming from).

Do this a couple of times, over hours and days. If the "Current IP Address" remains the same, then you most likely have a static IP address (this is good - because this is the IP address you will need to use, to get to your modem, from the Internet).

If it changes, then you have a dynamic IP address (that changes) - you may have to use some type of third-party dynamic DNS service (which can automatically map your changing IP address to a static (never changing) host name - that you then can use to get to your modem from the Internet.

Feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.

W4ELL

Feed Provider

Also, I am not sure how you are testing this but you might need to test from a computer that is not behind the same router. These Arris routers usually don't support NAT Loopback so trying to get to: <externaliP>:<port#> from a device behind the same router doesn't always work.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Alright... I'm honestly not sure what I've done, but I read everyone's comments, got ideas and tried new things and something worked. I have been running it the last hour and it's working, but with a couple of small issues.

I'm listening to it on a cell phone using the Google Chrome browser. At the bottom of the page I have an error message stating "Serve Folder Location not set". What does this mean?

Also, frequently the picture of the scanner goes blank and there is no information on it. I can't figure out why.

Thanks for your help. I have a family member who is deployed and was looking for something give them from back home.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
O.K. so again, this is new to me. Everything seems to be working great. Two questions, however. What are the security concerns of port forwarding my router? And also, the address is out there now. How do I put a password into ProScan to limit who has access to listen to the feed?

Thanks again for your help! Always something with this hobby!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
At the bottom of the page I have an error message stating "Serve Folder Location not set". What does this mean?
If you intend to serve Folders & Files then on the ProScan Web Server tab, click the Serve Folder Location and select the folder to be served. If you don't intend to serve Folders & Files then put in a password.

Also, frequently the picture of the scanner goes blank and there is no information on it. I can't figure out why.
Is it the whole virtual scanner? Does the virtual display show?
That may happen if a screen saver kicks in or ProScan is minimized.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I’ve been out of town and have been listening to my feed off and on the last few days. Everything seems to be running fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.