new bearcat software and windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimerman

Premium Subscriber
i am buying a scanner and new to the hobby ,i had a few scanners as a kid 25 years ago but you just punched in a few numbers and they went to work . quick question i read posts about drivers and usb not showing up on windows 10 i called uniden and there guys told me the new software works fine on windows 10. im either buying a new uniden BCD536HP or a new whistler trx-2 ,, each has included software . question is which is the one to get that works best in windows 10 i read the scanners watched vidoes i guess this is a major fact to me which is going to be easiest to program and with windows 10 .i know computers i know how to set up baby cameras and home camera systems im pretty good at computer stuff but before i spend 500 bucks just want to make sure im able to program this scanner

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
What you buy depends on where you are. There is a learning curve also you need to some what understand radio systems. If you are in a simulcast system area you will need a SDS100 or wait and see how the new Whistler TRX-100 does when it is released. You would be well suited to goto YOUTUBE and search for the information on programming and see if it makes any sense to you.

glimerman

Premium Subscriber
im in cleveland ohio and also i been on you tube a ton , just asking what do you guys think is the best option for a newbie to program . both have included software i called a few places and talked to a few guys on here digital 1 scanner is what im told i need to monitor Cleveland police ,i looked myself and it seems right if anyone could double check this for me that would be great. both software makes sense to me but then i read horror story's on amazon about how hard it is . also people on there cant hook up a baby camera or forward a post or set a static ip .which i can do all that very easy but am still nervous about this scanner software ,so long story short which works better on windows 10 uniden or whistler for the Cleveland area ..thank you guys for responding to me so fast too

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The "Windows issue" is applicable to previous scanner models, (pre 436/536/SDS100). Those model scanners use a USB programming cable. The previous scanners (x96) used serial cable which could present issues (unless you had the right kind of cable).

I looked and confirmed the Greater Cleveland Area Radio "stuff" requires a scanner capable of receiving digital. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7337

The 436/536/SDS100 scanners are capable of monitoring this system. They can almost be used right out of the box by entering your zipcode and selecting the desired service types. (You probably would want to update firmware and database for best results, however).

Creating Favorites Lists can be done to refine scanner choices, but they require learning programming software.

Presuming I'm the typical scanner user, I too struggled with programming at first. The more I did it, the more comfortable I became. It's about like anything new - difficult at first, not too bad after you get the hang of it. You probably will make mistakes at first - we all have. No scanner was ever ruined by bad programming. You can start all over if needed.

With all that said, a little potentially bad news. Cleveland is a simulcast system (several sites/towers transmitting on the same frequency to ensure coverage). The x36 scanners have been known to have issues decoding signals of this nature and people hear either nothing or garbled audio.

This is sporadic, however. You could be in a bad simulcast distortion area, or you could be where it isn't a problem. There is no way of knowing until you try it with a scanner. Perhaps you know someone in the area that can give better feedback on this.

The newest scanner, the SDS 100, is much better at simulcast distortion, but it is more pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.