Anything for chrome os ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Is there any programming soft ware that will work with a chromebook ,.or will there ever be ? for uniden scanners

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
Ya I kinda figured that ,..my old laptop is dying ,..looking at chromebooks , they are just so small & hassle free ,..but I guess I will need another windows one ...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
They're "so small & hassle free" but they're also program free. The number of useful programs for them is limited. It's pretty-much all Android. I think there's a cross-over program that might allow some Windows stuff but I wouldn't depend on it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Great idea

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PBGVOLFF

Premium Subscriber
I was able to get sentinel installed on my chromebook using a program called crossover. But when i connect my scanner via the USB cable, the chromebook detects it as a storage device and not a scanner. Any possible suggestions.

Thanks in advance

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I was able to get sentinel installed on my chromebook using a program called crossover. But when i connect my scanner via the USB cable, the chromebook detects it as a storage device and not a scanner. Any possible suggestions.

Thanks in advance

That's exactly what the scanner is when you plug it in and select Mass Storage Mode, a storage device.
If it does not get assigned a drive letter though, Sentinel may not see the drive.
After the chromebook recognizes the storage device, what does Sentinel show when you try and do something?

PBGVOLFF

Premium Subscriber
When i plug it in and select Mass storage, the chromebook does nothing. When i go in and open up the folder for it, it shows it as a flash drive. Sentinel does not see it and when i go to download from scanner, it does not show the scanner

kruser

Premium Subscriber
When i plug it in and select Mass storage, the chromebook does nothing. When i go in and open up the folder for it, it shows it as a flash drive. Sentinel does not see it and when i go to download from scanner, it does not show the scanner

That's a bummer. Chromebooks can be had for dirt cheap so they would be a good way for people to program their radios if they worked with Sentinel.
Maybe someone will come up with something to make them more compatible with Windows. I suspect it is the lack of drive letters when it mounts the scanner as a flash drive that is preventing Sentinel from seeing the SD card in the radio. It sounds like the chromebook may be mounting drives more like a Unix type system would.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think Chromebooks were originally designed with a view toward surfing the Internet rather than using them as home or business computers. With that in mind, I wouldn't expect them to work well with more specialized programs like Sentinel.

I use an Acer netbook with a 10" screen that is about 10 years old. It has Windows 7 (Home Edition). As a matter of fact, about all I use it for is programming radios. It has a long battery life (6-8 hours) and it has served me well. It's not fast but doesn't need to be. It's probably not worth more than $25. Something comparable might work for you.

ipfd320

Banned
I Have a 4 Yr Old Chromebook--there is not much download space in them at all--and when you do a download it will not let it transfer to another source--like kk4 said its a cheaper surfing pc without all the bells and horns

Status
Not open for further replies.