Unable to access RR through Arc536pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
I am using my laptop to work with my sds100. The Butel opens and seems to function correctly. I can sign in to RR on the same laptop on a separate page. When I attempt to access RR through arc536pro I get the error, INIT no good, check firewall. I use Norton. The laptop I'm using I bought used and have not located any other Antivirus software. I realize this can be tedious with many different possibilities. Just curious if anyone has experienced something similar to this. I'm looking for a step in the right direction, as I am not very computer savvy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at work and won't be able to actually try anything until this evening. Thanks again, John.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
What OS and version is on the laptop?

I've not used any Symantec consumer products in ages but there should be a way to disable its firewall long enough to try again. If it works, try and figure out how to add an exception for ARC536.

If that does not work, make sure ARC536 Pro is up to date. I know there were changes made to the SOAP interface used by RR which prevented older programming software from working. It's also possible the Windows built in firewall is also still active. I guess that is Window's Defender in Win 10. You probably know that having more then one firewall running can cause issues. Do you have other computers you can test that are using your same network so you can rule out whatever you are using for your router?

If you will not use this laptop for anything but ARC536 and disabling Norton does work, I'd be tempted to uninstall Norton and let the built in firewall protect everything unless the OS is Win XP or older. That's if you don't have much luck adding ARC536 as an exception. I recall having problems with Symantec's firewall or internet security programs in the past but I'd think most of those issues have been fixed years ago. Worth checking though if Norton was on the laptop already when you bought it. Who knows how it was all setup from the prior owner.

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
I am using XP. I am the one who installed the Norton. Your point about the 2 firewalls. I can attempt to see if Windows is running a firewall and shut it off. I've always installed Norton (it's free from my ISP) and never had to shut anything off. It just always worked. With butel pro software for several different uniden scanners I've never had an issue like this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully it will be as easy as shutting off redundant protections. Thanks for your help , much obliged!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I am using XP. I am the one who installed the Norton. Your point about the 2 firewalls. I can attempt to see if Windows is running a firewall and shut it off. I've always installed Norton (it's free from my ISP) and never had to shut anything off. It just always worked. With butel pro software for several different uniden scanners I've never had an issue like this. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Hopefully it will be as easy as shutting off redundant protections. Thanks for your help , much obliged!

Unless it's a really old version of Norton, it should shut off the windows firewall when you installed it. At least that's how it used to work!

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that's what I thought. And I just downloaded it about 3 days ago. Same with the Sentinel software and the 536pro. No trouble with the Sentinel. BTW I am able to access the sds100 sd card through the 536pro. Maybe I can go about it that way. I haven't done my homework with a lot of this I must point out. Thanks again, I will let you know how I make out.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that's what I thought. And I just downloaded it about 3 days ago. Same with the Sentinel software and the 536pro. No trouble with the Sentinel. BTW I am able to access the sds100 sd card through the 536pro. Maybe I can go about it that way. I haven't done my homework with a lot of this I must point out. Thanks again, I will let you know how I make out.

Yep, good luck with this one. Please do post back with a solution or cause if you figure it out, I'm curious as to the problem and solution.
These problems can always be interesting.

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your input. I verified that the Windows firewall is shut off. I'm not aware of any other security software installed on the computer. I will try to search and locate what program / setting is causing the havoc. Is there anything that comes to mind that I should look for, and or how to look for it? I am not very proficient with the computer. Thanks again for reaching out. Atleast now I have a good idea of what the problem is. I will keep you posted, thanks John

nitetrain5

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to thank you guys for reaching out. I went through the computer up and down searching for some security setting causing the issue. After turning off/on many settings still no success. Finally on a whim I changed my home page from Chrome to Internet Explorer and voila it works now!! Some programs at work behave the same way come to think of it. I'm glad that is settled!!

Status
Not open for further replies.