Spectrum Commander, by ScanStar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyone using ScanStar's Spectrum Commander with the Icom PCR-1500? Or any other radio for that matter? I'd be interested in hearing your comments, good, or bad.

Thanks!

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I have been using it to control a bunch of different radios, but not a PCR-1500. I have controlled an Icom R9000, R8500, PCR-1000, AOR AR5000, Optocom, Pro-2045+OS535, and Uniden 780.
I really like the program, as it really does allow me to run all these different radios and have the frequencies in all of them.
I started using in to control the Optocom's I have. It is the only program that supports trunking with the Optocoms. Once I got used to it, I began to use it finally get all of my different frequency lists under control.
I also like the tactical display and the recording functions.
I have enjoyed using the whole package.

edweirdFL

I use it with my 996, R7100, and OS535's. I like the audio recording features, the tactical displays, and the logging capabilities.

Ed

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I used to use this software quite a bit, as I love the recording capability for unattended monitoring. One thing that I don't like is the fact that the software does not take advantage of the scanning speed of some radios. As an example, I have an AOR AR5000 that on its own can rip through search ranges at about 75 channels per second. If I run it with Spectrum Commander it is slowed down to a speed defined by the software, which is terribly slow. I should note that this is with a demo version of the latest rev. of the software. I am an owner of an older version and was trying it with the 5000 with unattended monitoring/logging in mind. I decided against the upgrade price after observing the speed limitation. I have not tried it with my PCR2500.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is there anyway to modify the colors of the graphics used by Spectrum Commander? As it is, it makes it look like a kids game, rather than professional software. Just my opinion.

Thanks!

Never mind, I figured it out! DOH! I guess I was up too late last night. :roll:

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Spectrum Commander is actually a very impressive application! At first glance I didn't take it too seriously, as the default color scheme makes it appear unprofessional. But in reality it's quite powerful!

linlhutz

I used Spectrum Explorer a few years back and always enjoyed it.
Lost interest in scanning after a while and was out of the game for about 2 years.

A couple of months ago I started to get back into scanning and decided to purchase an ICOM PCR-2500.
I searched for Spectrum Explorer only to find out it has been replaced by Spectrum Commander. Downloaded the 15 day trial of Commander and really enjoyed how much control the program offered - from spectrum to bandscope to data/audio logging.
I didn't even wait for the 15 day trial to end before I purchased Spectrum Manager IX (an upgrade from Commander).

The downside:
If you own an Icom PC-2500/IC-R2500 know that the Scan Star software is not yet fully compatible with all the features these receivers offer.
I recently purchased the D-Star and APCO-25 plug-in cards only to find that Commander/Manager doesn't support them in the 2500's - only the 1500's.

From email sent from tech support:

Hi,

The D* and P25 units are only supported on the PCR-1500, and since we haven’t gotten to the 2500, these extra units aren’t supported yet, either.

Right now we have no time frame yet, but it should be fairly soon.

-Sam-

So these radios will soon be fully supported but as of now they are treated like 1500's without the digital options.

ToddRD

Premium Subscriber
Spectrum Manager IX

I have Spec Mgr IX and am controlling an Optocom, BCD396T, BCD996T and an AR8000. A very impressive software package with great support from Signal Intel. They just added the BCD support and this was the only logical solution for my target group of radios. I haven't cracked the code on the Optocom and trunking but it does do analysis very well. Just my thoughts. Thumbs up to Sam and crew!

Status
Not open for further replies.