Hood mount CB antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris-B

I've been using a NGP Firestik antenna mounted to my non-metal roof rack out of convenience but I could clearly do better both in terms of reception and transmission. I really do NOT want to use a mag mount, and have seen a Firestik hood mount which mounts to the inside of the engine compartment. A number of the local volunteer fire fighter have them... it looks like they have 2 regular car antennas, one on the right and one on the left. Does anyone have something like this? Do they work well?

Assistance would be appreciated.

af5rn

Chris-B said:
I've been using a NGP Firestik antenna mounted to my non-metal roof rack out of convenience but I could clearly do better both in terms of reception and transmission.
I'd be a lot more worried about my SWR than my reception and transmission. Have you checked them?

I assume you are talking about using the same antenna you have, but mounting it on a fender mount L-bracket. I can absolutely guarantee you that anything drilled into the metal body of the car is going to work significantly better than what you have. Better than a mag mount too. There is no substitute for ground plane. I think you'll like the results, both performance wise and aesthetically.

Although, I am still continuously perplexed as to why anybody cares about CBs at all.

Allan_Love_Jr

CB Radio.

af5rn said:
Although, I am still continuously perplexed as to why anybody cares about CBs at all.
Because they are much more reliable that most other Radios out there. I can't stand these phony retarded so-called FRS Radio's. There a joke. CB's are way better.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well Allan it all depends on where you are and who is "out there". If you have a band full of butt heads or a radio desert either way you won't get anywhere so it's the best band for the job depending on demographics. Then too FRS radios are the UHF equivalent of 100mW CB walkie talkies, kid's toys and no comparison to a 5W rig and a proper antenna.

Bottom like is reliable is what you make it and for reliability in most instances I'd rather have a cell phone and I'm a ham with a whole spectrum and 1500 watts at my disposal. Now please don't flip EMCOM on me, we all know how reliable a cell phone is in a disaster zone.

Chris, given a choice between a hood mount and a maggie I'd go with the hood mount. Of course there are far better choices but you only mentioned those. Hmmm, put a dummy on the opposite side and use them for fender finders. (;->)

Last but not least there is GMRS, "the other CB".

af5rn

BNSFrailfan said:
Because they are much more reliable that most other Radios out there. I can't stand these phony retarded so-called FRS Radio's. There a joke. CB's are way better.
Better for what? That's what I am getting at. Of what use are they?

Don_Burke

af5rn said:
Better for what? That's what I am getting at. Of what use are they?
It is hard to beat a CB for real-time traffic information.

It is also very good for getting a bunch of non-technical users on the air with a minimum of cost.

Chris-B

As Don said, I use my CB primarily for real-time traffic information. My commute is 90 miles/day and I really cannot afford to spend more time in the car than necessary. I also have a BCT8 which I use to monitor the state police channels, but most of the time the truckers have more reliable information. In terms of the antenna, I'm going to plan to buy another more suitable one for the hood mount; the Firestick that I have has much too short a mast (about 14") to be valuable on the hood.

af5rn

Chris-B said:
As Don said, I use my CB primarily for real-time traffic information. My commute is 90 miles/day and I really cannot afford to spend more time in the car than necessary. I also have a BCT8 which I use to monitor the state police channels, but most of the time the truckers have more reliable information.
No argument with that. If I spent a lot of time commuting the highways, I'd probably invest in one too. It just seems that most guys I see driving around with CB antennas on their cars and trucks don't commute anymore than five miles in city traffic, Monday through Friday, and they spend their time sitting in their driveway trying to shoot skip, lol.

In terms of the antenna, I'm going to plan to buy another more suitable one for the hood mount; the Firestick that I have has much too short a mast (about 14") to be valuable on the hood.
I disagree. You're going to get better performance with it on the fender (not really the hood, is it?) than you did with it in the current position, regardless of height. Again, there is no substitute for ground plane. Unless you are one of the aforementioned wannabe skip-shooters, you're going to be happy with the performance. It's going to be quite adequate for highway work. A longer, heavier antenna will just stress the mount and make you stand out more in a parking lot, resulting in a broken window and stolen CB. If you're just wanting improved performance on that fender mount, I'd go with a Wilson base-load before I'd put a longer fiberglass whip up.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Realtime info

Chris-B said:
As Don said, I use my CB primarily for real-time traffic information. My commute is 90 miles/day and I really cannot afford to spend more time in the car than necessary. I also have a BCT8 which I use to monitor the state police channels, but most of the time the truckers have more reliable information.

Might be a function of your truckers. You might have better than I'm around.

I commute 96 mi/day. 1 time in the last 5 years the truckers had better info than what I could get on the scanner. I have CB19 programmed in the scanner but I frequently have to lock it out because the rachet-jaws and noise toys are keeping me from hearing State, County, and EMS dispatches.

When I kept the CB in my Cherokee I had a magnetic mount antenna for it on the hood. That way I could get the jeep into the garage w/o removing the antenna. Roof is a better location.

rescuecomm

I have a CB in the vehicle for on the road info. Sometimes the radio is useful, and sometimes it is just truckers talking trash to each other. For all amatuer radio is touted to be, 2 meters is not the hams CB to the extent there is something like CB19 for road info. A wreck can back up traffic for 10 miles and 146.520 and 446.000 will be silent.

Bob

mjthomas59

The hood mounts work well for me. I put them on all of my rigs more out of laziness than anything. They are easy to mount, they aren't permanent, the holes you drill are easily hidden if you un-install it ( on my dakota i used the fender bolt already there) and i get pretty darn good performance. Of course i'm not using the latest and best CB, but i would suggest getting whatever unit you have peaked and tuned. That makes a world of difference, also make sure your antenna is tuned properly once you install it.

Hood-mounts and trunk-lip mounts are by no means as good as a drilled-hole through the body, but most of us would never notice the difference, and the 1st 2 options are easy and non-permanent. Just stay away from mag-mounts, they are more trouble than they are worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.