Create CLP-5130-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wa6ube

I ordered one of these CLP-5130-1 LPDA's which cover 50 thru 1300 MHz ... (not the -2 version shown in the photo)

The question I have is .... has anyone in this forum already designed a method of flopping the
antenna from horizontal to vertical polarization, via a pull-rope, for example ????

Before I put the effort into using some lengths of 4-inch diameter PVC tubing as sleeves in which to mount the boom of this antenna,
I'd like to know if anyone else has come up with a solution to moving one of these things from horizontal to vertical polarization
without resorting to an antenna rotator system ....

Attachments

• crant.jpg
    crant.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,640
Last edited:

digitalanalog

I would say, Flop it, there is nothing at all to lose.

I am a Big fan of mounting thing's the way They are not intended to be mounted, simply to see what happen's

Cross polarization, I love it

and as well, i just spend the last hour and watch a bunch of your youtube vid's.
very informative.

wa6ube

cross-polarization

digitalanalog said:
I would say, Flop it, there is nothing at all to lose.

I am a Big fan of mounting thing's the way They are not intended to be mounted, simply to see what happen's

Cross polarization, I love it

and as well, i just spend the last hour and watch a bunch of your youtube vid's.
very informative.

Actually, I'm trying to avoid cross-polarization .. i.e. the antenna is going to be used
for FM broadcast and television reception when not in use for land-mobile scanning/intercept,
or for amateur radio use on 6 meters, 2-meters, and 440 MHz .. hence it makes sense
to switch polarizations when necessary ..

I'll post some photos of whatever I come up with as a solution to this .. The antenna will be here in a couple of days ..

intermod

Mounting CLP-5130

Hi Patricia:

Hope you are keeping busy on your extended "time off"...!

I cannot answer your question directly as I only use it vertically - impressive antenna. Bruce H (common friend) had recommended this to me...particularly for tracking down interference sources.

But I did sweep the antenna when mounted vertical (with very little separation between the elements and the steel mast as you show); this resulted in a very poor return loss below 170 MHz, as expected. The most acceptable separation (for 11-14 dB return loss) was found at about 18" (elements to mast). Or - just use a PVC mast which you might have suggested earlier....just a little weaker.

Greg
N6LDJ

AA2HA

So sad

Sorry to hear that Elaine passed away a few months ago. My deepest sympathy to her family and her many friends. She will be missed.
I just ordered a CLP-5130-1 antenna as well. I'd like to mount it vertically on my 80 foot tower, but haven't found a reasonable way to do this as yet. As Elaine wanted, I'm trying to devise something to switch the antenna from vertical to horizontal as needed. My tower has a dual band (UHF/VHF) antenna on top and a 40-10 meter beam under that. No solutions yet, but the gears are turning.
AA2HA

AA2HA

Update, if anyone is interested.

The antenna is made in Australia under a different name. Comet has it boxed with their name on but that's a whole different story. I contacted them and they do have a vertical mounting kit for this antenna. You still can't change polarity at will, but the kit is about $160.00 USD and locates the antenna 32 inches away from the mast and has a "vertical adapter"
This brings up a few interesting questions. First, mounting the antenna vertically (as opposed to horizontally) obviously increases the surface area and wind loading. Second, the off balance load of locating the antenna nearly three feet off the mast would DRASTICALLY increase the wind force load on the mast (and tower is it's tower mounted as in my situation). They list no wind load at all in the specs and I had to contact the "overseas department" (Australia) to get a wind load in sq. ft to submit to my township building department. They, however could not give me a calculation of what the wind load would be with the vertical mounting kit. My township will not approve mounting this vertically without engineered specs, from the manufacturer. My tower is rated at 21 sq, ft. of antenna, including 1/2 inch of icing at 110 MPH winds. I currently have (with this antenna mounted horizontally) only 9 sq. ft of antenna (including my TH-3MK4, rotator, this antenna and a dual band VHF/UHF antenna) . I'd assume it safe to mount it vertically, but can not without specs from the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.