Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I realize this may be the wrong forum altogether to ask this question (probably should be in a HAM forum), but here goes anyway.....

I'm heading out to Radio Shack to get an outdoor antenna ( Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna Model: 20-176), and was wondering if it could also be used for 2 meter transmitting.

I read a few reviews online where people said they used it for such purposes, but I was wondering if anyone on the RR has tried it, and if so, what was the result(s)?

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why put the cart before the horse? A 2M/70cM antenna works very well on a scanner and there's no doubt it'll handle a decent transmit power.

KC0QNB

Quick answer is yes, I have a buddy that uses one, but he also has a vhf swr meter that he checked it with. Go for the 2m/440 antenna, design a ground radial system, or buy the ground plane kit/mount that some antenna manufacturers offer.

SAR923

The 20-176 will handle 50 watts on VHF with less than a 1.7:1 SWR and 25 watts on UHF with less than a 2:1 SWR. It's not a high power handling antenna but will work fine for most power range radios and HT's. If this fits your needs, tt will be a well spent $25.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Update!

Works good on 2 meters and 440 mhz. Go for it! We used one this weekend during field day for our GOTA station. Worked great. I can send you a picture of it If you like! We had it on a 30 foot pole.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.