Unusually Weird Rare Antenna Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Ok, Here's one I've never seen before, someone here may have saw it before but I have a scantenna about 40 to 50 feet up in the air, Feeding from it to my shack is LMR 400 Coax, Then it ties into a splitter and runs to my GRE PSR 500 and my PRO 97, My PRO 97 works great as does my PSR 500 UNTIL I hook up my scantenna to them, It will work great on my PRO 97, But it will not work on my PSR 500, It won't stop on the frequencys, But if you turn off the PL tones, It will, However, If you hook it up to the original duck antenna then it works great, What causes this? Is it because the local departments are too close and it's overloading the GRE as sensitive as it is? Should I try the ATTENUATOR and see what happens? Does anyone have any suggestions what it could be or what I can do?

SAR923

Have you tried swapping the two radio on the splitter? How about if you hook up the PSR500 directly to the coax? If the PSR500 will still only stop in signals without CTCSS/PL, something is wrong with the radio. The Pro 97 and PSR500 are both made by GRE and both seem to be about equally sensitive to desense from base antennas like the scantenna. The only explanation that makes any sense to me, assuming that the PSR500 continues this behavior, is that there's something wrong in the tone decode section of the circuit board and the stronger signal seems to set it off.

btritch

It'll pick up the digital ones fine, Or the analog farther off, However, It will not pick up locally, Perhaps I should try the attenuator? I have not tried switching them or hooking directly to yet, I'll mess with it tomarrow or this weekend and try that, in the meantime I'll contact GRE and see what they say..

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
A Local buddy of mine has that same scanner and antenna and for some reason that scanner did not like the antenna. So here is what he did and says it works great. He made a small jumper without soldering the braid only used the center conducter and cut the braided shield away.

Status
Not open for further replies.