2 scanners to outdoor antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I know i have seen previous threads but can't seem to find them...I want to hook up 2 scanners to an outdoor discone antenna...What type of splitter is best and do i just have 2 seperate cords going from the splitter to the scanners...? Any feedback suggestions or ideas would be cool...Thanks chris

scrotumola

Um, how about looking at the sticky thread pinned at the top of this topic?

If a 4 port stridsberg is too much, they do make a 2 port.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
ok lol getting blind in my old days...Ok my question is is the item from electroline better or is coupler better? I know one is amp and the other is coupler...i don't know much when it comes to stuff like this...Price is not really an issue, so which would be better?

scrotumola

I can only tell you of my experience with the Stridsberg MCA204m. It allows me to feed 1 antenna to 4 receivers. The fact that it is amplified reduces line loss from the added connectors (to the multicoupler and the jumper from the multicoupler to the receivers/scanners) It works very well.

The electroline amplified coupler that you were looking at would be good if you were running a long length of rg58 (not recommended) but the amp will compensate a little for the line loss boasting 15db gain. This multicoupler would certainly overdrive my PSR-600's front-end and render the incoming signal useless.

In short, I am very happy with my stridsberg. If you do go with the 4 port, make sure you put a 50 ohm termination on each unused port to ensure optimum benefits of a balanced feed.

NYRHKY94

Hawkeye32:

I use the "non-amplified" version from Electroline to run 7 scanners from 1 antenna and it works great, with no noticeable loss of signal. The non-amplified versions come in two styles - 4-port & 8-port. The 4-port version model number is EDA-UG2402. I got both versions off of E-bay auctions for about $35 each. Unfortunately, the non-amplified versions do not come up for auction that often. The amplified versions are readily for sale however.

To answer your question about how to split the antenna between your 2 scanners: The one line coming from the antenna is connected to the "input" connector on the splitter and then you run a separate line from the "ouput" connectors to each of your scanners.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
Hawkeye32:

I use the "non-amplified" version from Electroline to run 7 scanners from 1 antenna and it works great, with no noticeable loss of signal. The non-amplified versions come in two styles - 4-port & 8-port. The 4-port version model number is EDA-UG2402. I got both versions off of E-bay auctions for about $35 each. Unfortunately, the non-amplified versions do not come up for auction that often. The amplified versions are readily for sale however.

To answer your question about how to split the antenna between your 2 scanners: The one line coming from the antenna is connected to the "input" connector on the splitter and then you run a separate line from the "ouput" connectors to each of your scanners.
I second Hawkeye's recommendation. It works well and is relatively inexpensive.

Dave

mrbama97

Two-way and scanner

I have read the wiki and don't think I saw any place that mentions a two-way radio and a scanner operating from one antenna. Is this possible or will the two-way damage the scanner?

Don_Burke

I have read the wiki and don't think I saw any place that mentions a two-way radio and a scanner operating from one antenna. Is this possible or will the two-way damage the scanner?
There is a pretty good chance you will damage both radios the first time you transmit unless there is some switching circuitry installed.

btritch

It will be fine until you key up the two way, Then with it being so close and hooked into the same line, The back feed will fry the scanner..I do not know this from experience, Just what I've heard from the grapevine, Maybe someone else can confirm this.. I know you can't run a scanner and a CB from the same splitter, I HAVE experienced this, It didn't burn it up but poses one hell of a squeal..

mrbama97

Thanks for the information. I have not tried it, but just wondering if that would happen before pursuing any further.

Once again, thanks for all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.