Anyone use an LNA-DUAL-AIR-O Pre-Amplifer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMM-BDA

Anyone use an LNA-DUAL-AIR-O Pre-Amplifier?

Just wondering if anyone is using, or has used, or has any knowledge of, the LNA-DUAL-AIR-O Pre-Amplifier which is available from ScanerMaster.

I would like to use one of these, instead of a separate filter & pre-amp, unless anyone suggests otherwise.

I guess that, as with just about everything, there are pros & cons. On the pros side, everything is contained in a single weatherproof unit which is mast mountable - 1 cable in from the antenna side (after the lightning arrestor), and 1 cable out on down to the scanner. On the cons side, if any item within the unit becomes defective, chances are the entire unit will need to be replaced.

Unfortunately the picture & description details on ScannerMaster's website are so basic that they useless, so this is why I'm seeking any information from those of you that may have some experience with or knowledge of these critters.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JMM-BDA

I took a chance & bought one of these - arrived today.

I've just got it mounted temporarily for now until my LMR400 arrives early next week, so I don't want to jump to any judgement about it. The filter portion has stopped all bleed-over from TV, taxis, etc., which was constantly leaking over into my aviation band. I don't have any of that interference now.

As for the pre-amp portion of the unit, at 8 miles from the airport with a lot of terrain in between, I wasn't picking up any comms whatsoever from the airport itself - only aircraft in the air. With this unit installed, I'm picking up the Ground controllers loudly & crystal-clear, so I'm happy with that. The problem is, the other radios at the airport (i.e. Tower, Approach/Departure & Center) are much more powerful radios, but I don't hear those at all. Bummer - that has me puzzled. It's almost as if the filter is filtering them out too.

Anyway, I'll withold judgement until next week when I have my proper cabling.

Status
Not open for further replies.