Max Systems 800 Mhz Portable Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alien55

Is there anybody out there that has used the ' Max Systems 800 MHZ protable attenna? its by Grove enterprise's. They are for handheld scanners in the 800 MHZ RANGE, The antenna, is about 6 inchs tall, and has a round plastic piece, and three metal rods that stick out from it, it looks strange, but has anyone out there ever tried one of these? I think the company wants $ 29..9 for them. I have a Radio Shack Pro-96 scanner, and I was thinking about trying one of these. Thanks let me know.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
From what I've heard, they are great for 800 but not for anything else. With that design, I wouldn't want to carry it around. If your Pro-96 just sits on a desk and scans nothing but 800, It's probably a good antenna for you.

Hooligan

I bought one a decade or so ago at the Dayton Hamvention. While it's nicely made, it's really just some steel rod fastened on to an SO-239 bulkhead connector and a PVC cap over it to hold the elements in place & perhaps make people think there's more to it than there really is.

You didn't bother to explain what your application would be for, but I think in most cases, you'd be better off finding a 3 or 5dB gain cellular antenna & using it, or order a custom-made antenna from a place like: http://www.lairdtech.com

RodStrong

I have heard they are excellent within their range. Also, can be used as a lawn dart or grappling hook.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I found it worked slightly better than the Radio Shack RS800 rubber duck on the 800MHz band. However it's too bulky and cumbersome on a hand-held, unless you just leave it in one spot all the time. You certainly don't want to be carrying it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.