Help with filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hi folks..... hoping someone can help me with a filter question. Here is my scenario.... I'm using a Pro-96 to listen to VHF trunked system (frequencies in the 142-143mhz range) on an external antenna. My problem is that I live about 1km from a large transmitter that is doing paging in the 158mhz range. Every time this sucker keys up it deafens my Pro-96. What I would like to do is build (or buy if needed) a filter that would just chop everything off after, say... 145mhz. Or perhaps just have a bandpass filter the would allow VHF-Lo to pass thru. What do you guys think my best options may be? Suggestions greatly appreciated!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
PAR electronics sells filters for this section of the band, I believe. I use a dual band variety (VHF/UHF) and it works great on my old Icom IC207. A bit expensive but well worth it. Mine is tuned for around 152 mhz but I'm pretty sure they have a 158 mhz model, too

Using such filters won't kill the other sections of the band 73 Mike

[edit] Yep, they do - their model VHFSYM158HT

Last edited:

fineshot1

Oooh I like the looks of that one. Thanks for the suggestions guys. What was the price on the 152-158 if you don't mind my asking?

I am sorry but I do not remember it was so long ago but like ka3jjz said it was not cheap.

If I recall correctly it was at that time(2001) about $60 or $70.

frankh

If you get the par, you probably want to specify double female connectors(both ends) that way you can put a short jumper between the filter and your receiver, its a lot easier on your radio.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Great Little Product!

Oooh I like the looks of that one. Thanks for the suggestions guys. What was the price on the 152-158 if you don't mind my asking?

I believe they dont go all the way from 152-158 because of the public service bands in between 153-157. So the paging filters are split into 3 units depending on where the offending signal is coming from. 152-153 MHZ , 157-158 MHZ and 462 MHZ. Here is a look at all of them including an 88-108 WFM filter.

http://www.grove-ent.com/filters.html

Here is the manufactures' direct link. I see they added a few more than the ones I mentioned;

http://www.parelectronics.com/scanner.htm

They work great by the way. I used one (157-158) at my previous home where I lived less than 1 Nautical mile from a hospital.....

Hope this helps you!

Manny

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks for the help guys, I think I will try one of the 157-158mhz models. It drives me nuts to have my Pro-96 sitting here mostly silent while Trunk88 is showing my all sorts of activity is on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.