a simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajal

If i use a vertically polarized (linear) antenna for transmitting and a horizontally polarized antenna for receiving and the arrangement is such that there is no spacial seperation between them i.e both of them mounted in a common housing.
Will the transmitted vertically polarized signal originated from that antenna interfere with the horizontally polarized antenna?
Will the received horizontal polarized signal interfere with the vertically polarized transmitter antenna?

n4yek

If i use a vertically polarized (linear) antenna for transmitting and a horizontally polarized antenna for receiving and the arrangement is such that there is no spacial seperation between them i.e both of them mounted in a common housing.
Will the transmitted vertically polarized signal originated from that antenna interfere with the horizontally polarized antenna?
Yes, even though there is attenuation from vertical to horizontal polarity, that close proximity will not matter. It would definitely over load the receiver on your horizontal antenna.

Will the received horizontal polarized signal interfere with the vertically polarized transmitter antenna?
Not the signal itself, but the elements on your horizontal antenna could act as elements on your vertical antenna.
To help this problem out, you would need to separate them by at least 1/4 wavelength of your transmitting signal your antenna is cut for. But still your received signal on your other antenna would be overloaded.
You could put a notch filter on your receiver that is on the horizontal antenna to notch out the transmitters frequency, that would be a big help for you in your setup, also probably save your receivers front-end from damage.

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
They can be made to interfere at a minimum level. The San Bernardino Microwave Society developed a microwave transceiver that did just that back in the 1950's. Look up "polaplexer" for details. The isolation was enough to operate a link full duplex with little or no receiver degradation from the transmitter. In that case, the antenna was actually an integral part of the transceiver.

There are dual polarized microwave antennas that provide sufficient discrimination between polarities that two (or more) RF carriers of the same frequency can be applied to the vertical and horizontal feeds and can operate simultaneously across the path.

In both cases, I'm talking microwaves... the techniques can be scaled larger for lower frequencies... to a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.