VHF whip antenna- Do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddispatcher

Your safety

Do you want to compromise your safety with some aftermarket radio antenna just to save a couple bucks.

Just think about that.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was under the impression that the whip-style was good only for UHF and 700/800MHz stuff? Are the VHF whip-style antennas legit?

You can get thinner VHF whips, many aftermarket amateur band dual band antennas are thin whips. That being said, I would not place good money on that seller sending an antenna that looks just like that and expecting it to work well on 136-174.

There are aftermarket antennas as good as or even better than OEM, but that one sure don't look like it :lol:

Do you want to compromise your safety with some aftermarket radio antenna just to save a couple bucks.

He didn't say what he uses his radio for, so he might not be compromising his safety, just his radio's performance.

pddispatcher

Just assuming he would use his 1250 for:

Mark A. Baumgardner, Jr
Firefighter/Paramedic

Duties?

Grog

Banned
I highly doubt he would have good results with this antenna.

I don't think he would either, hence my opinion :D

Just assuming he would use his 1250 for:

Mark A. Baumgardner, Jr
Firefighter/Paramedic

Duties?

I don't see that, but I turn off sigs, avatars, and any other crap I can to try to make the forum look cleaner. I figure if someone has relevant information for their question, they will add it to their post.......Like he needs to use this antenna for public safety operations unlike many who use motorola gear for ham/scanning uses. Big difference, but I still wouldn't use that junky antenna for ham use.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
While searching around ebay to replace my VHF antenna on my ht1250- I've been noticing a lot of the VHF whip-style antennas. I was under the impression that the whip-style was good only for UHF and 700/800MHz stuff? Are the VHF whip-style antennas legit? Too legit to quit, even? Thanks!

FYI here is a link to one :
http://cgi.ebay.com/VHF-Antenna-for...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I'm confused. you're talking about whip antennas but the link is for a rubber duck antenna.

mancow

Database Admin
That thing looks like a Uhf or 800 whip. It's not even as thick as the small Visar Vhf antennas.

I wonder if they happened to use the wrong image for the ad.

Grog

Banned
That thing looks like a Uhf or 800 whip. It's not even as thick as the small Visar Vhf antennas.

I wonder if they happened to use the wrong image for the ad.

Is it bad that I actually had a Visar antenna in my laptop bag and held it up to the screen? :D

I thought about asking the seller if that was the correct picture, but I see they are in HK so I'm not sure I want a reply in Engrish.

Status
Not open for further replies.