Metal Vs. Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanaholic

For a long time, I've had a shiny, chrome-looking telescoping antenna on the Pro-433. I thought it was a hot antenna. Today, I decided to stick an old scoper on, a more metallic, less shiny antenna on there. I don't know how the next few days' listening will go, but so far, the older antenna is bringing the signals in clearer and more full quieting.

I wonder if it's possible the older one is a better conductor? As I said, it looks to be more metallic and not pretty and shiny like the other one.

N

N_Jay

The conductivity of the antenna material is of very little consequence.

I am sure it will make no difference.

k5uss

Lots of questions come with your observation;

Is the antenna the same length?
Is the connector the same?
Is the connecter on the "old" one in good shape?
Have you re-located the scanner?

Chances are the metal is about the same on both, one is just pretty. The above questions may give you the answer to why.

scanaholic

I'm now getting a station clearer that had been weak in the same scanner location with the old antenna. It is a little longer, and I clip a piece of wire at the top with an alligator clip, the length of wire being about the same length as the antenna, just let it hang down beside the antenna. I think it acts like a dipole in a way. I did this with the newer antenna, but still no improvement on the weak signal. If it works, I'll stay with it, I guess.

Thanks-

Status
Not open for further replies.