Scantenna placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryMax

Premium Subscriber
Having an outside antenna is a no go in my neighborhood. So the next best place I have is in the attic. I will be purchasing the good 'ol scantenna but have a question about how to face it.

I don't have room in the attic to mount it vertically. Can I place it horizontally and if so (I'm assuming it can be mounted any which way because it's an omni) should I have it face up or the face on the antenna pointed at an angle to the left or right? If this is not a good option for this antenna I would assume the next best thing is to get a discone. I can mount that vertically.

Also what effects does wood in an attic setting have on attenuating received signal. Anyone ever done any testing?

Thanks

digitalanalog

SC2(scantenna) is a vertical polorized antenna and MUST be mounted that way to work Properly

I have tested this antenna mounted horizonal and it does not work as to such it's not worth mounting it in this fashion.

Vertical or don't use a SC2

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
If you were going to mount a discone outdoors I would agree with spending more money to get a better built one. However, since you have to mount it in the attic, you really don't have to buy one of the higher priced discones to get respectable performance since it will not be subject to the elements and wind. Discones are ok, but they, like any other attempt at receiving freqs over a very wide range, offer a compromise at best. I've often had better luck overall using a dual-band ham base antenna (in particular for VHF and UHF systems). A key factor in this is exactly what your reception targets are and the freq ranges they operate on.

LarryMax

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. I have used that 25.99 rat shack discone before (at another house where I could have outside antennas) I had really good results with it. Matter of fact I went right out and bought the big discone rat shack had hoping for even better results and I hated it. Just my results but the smaller discone worked better for me.

My target freqs are all over the board. uhf/vhf and 800. The really sad part about all this is that I live in a valley. My south is blocked by Mt. Rainier. Orting Wa is a real RF dead spot. Google it you will see.

Thanks again for the replies.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Not good to be in a valley unless you have repeaters up on the high ground. I have heard many people say they like that smaller RS discone. I have one that I bought for about $9 off of someone like a couple years ago off ebay that was still in the plastic. Just have never opened it yet. Just sits in a corner. I suppose I should break that out sometime and use it for something! :D Anyway, good luck and hope that everyone's comments were helpful.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Not good to be in a valley unless you have repeaters up on the high ground. I have heard many people say they like that smaller RS discone. I have one that I bought for about $9 off of someone like a couple years ago off ebay that was still in the plastic. Just have never opened it yet. Just sits in a corner. I suppose I should break that out sometime and use it for something! :D Anyway, good luck and hope that everyone's comments were helpful.
what smaller discone? Radio Shack only makes one discone. the other antenna which i think you guys are talking about is a ground plane antenna.

Eric Burris

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, sorry about that. We were talking about the sputnik and I misspoke. I knew it was a GP but had discone on the brain!

Status
Not open for further replies.