HF in Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pddispatcher

Hello,

Getting ready to move into an apartment and would like to do some HF activities at the apartment.

Is there any prayer of me being able to do anything on HF while living in an apartment complex without it looking gaudy.

bvankl

Premium Subscriber
What style apartment are you moving in to? I was in a townhouse style apartment and ran HF for a year or two. I had a paito out back with a grill. I put a homebrew verticle on a tripod mount next to the grill. Ran a couple wires underground for counters and went to a tuner. The grill masked the appearence of the tirpod and connecting coax and the antenna was only about 1/4" thick. It looked good and worked out great as a improvised antenna. This antenna was the same design as the Outbacker.

I have also used two slinky's going into twinlead to a tuner. This did not work out as well but is still an option.

scrotumola

This may seem far fetched, but my first thought was of TVI issues. Then I thought, WOW! this guy is moving to an apartment that will allow antennas!

/[Hijack on]
This brings up an interesting topic that has far greater reaching implications. Something that I have not seen is any discussion about is how the switch to digital will effect any TVI issues. First is the modulation mode change and more significantly, (at least locally in the San Antonio DMA) all of the digital channels that are being migrated to are all UHF and not in the 'TVI susceptable' band of VHF, specifically channels 2-6.

One concern is that some of these digital conversion boxes output on vhf TV channel 3 or 4, which under certain high RF saturated areas *may* cause TVI issues, but I am not sure, but I certainly entertain others to chime in on their thoughts.

If my understanding is correct, the advent of digital, especially to UHF will substantially reduce ANY possibility of TVI.

/[Highjack off] (heh heh, I said jackoff!)
Getting back to your original question: I would explore running a dipole underneath the eaves of the building an away from any balconies. You can literally be undetected depending on how well you conceal the feedline/point. Others have literally loaded raingutters (!) and used them as effective antennas, but I do not have 1st hand experience with this.

In my college days, a friend strung a random wire across the 'quad' on campus. It looked like a 300+' long clothes line that strected across the
building from the rooftop of a 4 story L-shaped building. He worked wonders with that station and was the reason of many sleepless nights working DX QRP.

Last edited:

pddispatcher

This may seem far fetched, but my first thought was of TVI issues. Then I thought, WOW! this guy is moving to an apartment that will allow antennas!

/[Hijack on]
This brings up an interesting topic that has far greater reaching implications. Something that I have not seen is any discussion about is how the switch to digital will effect any TVI issues. First is the modulation mode change and more significantly, (at least locally in the San Antonio DMA) all of the digital channels that are being migrated to are all UHF and not in the 'TVI susceptable' band of VHF, specifically channels 2-6.

One concern is that some of these digital conversion boxes output on vhf TV channel 3 or 4, which under certain high RF saturated areas *may* cause TVI issues, but I am not sure, but I certainly entertain others to chime in on their thoughts.

If my understanding is correct, the advent of digital, especially to UHF will substantially reduce ANY possibility of TVI.

/[Highjack off] (heh heh, I said jackoff!)
Getting back to your original question: I would explore running a dipole underneath the eaves of the building an away from any balconies. You can literally be undetected depending on how well you conceal the feedline/point. Others have literally loaded raingutters (!) and used them as effective antennas, but I do not have 1st hand experience with this.

In my college days, a friend strung a random wire across the 'quad' on campus. It looked like a 300+' long clothes line that strected across the
building from the rooftop of a 4 story L-shaped building. He worked wonders with that station and was the reason of many sleepless nights working DX QRP.

I don't know if they will or not. But I would like to try to string something up.

May not be moving anywhere now since Girlfriend broke up with me.

Oh well, Win some lose some.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
pddispatcher, you will need to be a little more specific. Ham or just listening? Kind of radio (i.e. portable, tabletop, mobile powered with an external supply....)? Can you get something outside that's invisible, or nearly so? Getting something as far from the apartment as you can is going to solve a host of noise issues, as there are so many of those, whole books have been written about the subject. Portable loops are another possible option, as loops tend to reject certain kinds of noise. If you have a good sized attic or crawlspace, a Carpet loop (something you can build yourself) is another option. A loop made up of levels of wire fed into a 9:1 balun (also known as a magnetic longwire balun) might also be a possibility. These are receive-only applications, of course.

With propagation as crappy as it is right now, the better the antenna, the better your results are going to be.

73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.