Very small tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryMax

Premium Subscriber
Anyone seen a very small roof mount tripod anywhere. I'm gonna be sneaky and try to put one of those cheap 25.00 rat shack ground plane antennas on my roof without the HOA seeing it.

I have a few "angles" on my roof and the only people that would see it are the people that live behind me (I know them and they won't rat me out)

Please excuse my language but I'm PISSED that Sat dishes are "ok" but less intrusive and much better looking scanner or HAM radio antennas are not!! I had an argument with one of the HOA members about Sat Dishes and tried to explain that those are antennas too, not magical rings that bring in TV.

I can't wait for the housing market to turn around...I'm outta here!!

prcguy

If you put a right angle coax adapter on the RS ground plane it might just sit on the roof like a tripod using its ground radials. Paint it flat grey or the color of the roof and it should disappear. If you have vent pipes on the roof there are commercially made scanner antennas that slide over a vent pipe and look like an extension to the pipe. You can also roll your own using PVC or ABS pipe that is similar diameter to a vent pipe and hide a dipole inside letting the ground side hang down inside the original vent pipe. A tri band scanner dipole would have one section with elements about 17", one about 6" and one about 3" with the ends spread apart inside the pipe. You could even coil the longest element a little inside the PVC pipe so the extension only sticks up about a foot above the original vent pipe.
prcguy
Anyone seen a very small roof mount tripod anywhere. I'm gonna be sneaky and try to put one of those cheap 25.00 rat shack ground plane antennas on my roof without the HOA seeing it.

I have a few "angles" on my roof and the only people that would see it are the people that live behind me (I know them and they won't rat me out)

Please excuse my language but I'm PISSED that Sat dishes are "ok" but less intrusive and much better looking scanner or HAM radio antennas are not!! I had an argument with one of the HOA members about Sat Dishes and tried to explain that those are antennas too, not magical rings that bring in TV.

I can't wait for the housing market to turn around...I'm outta here!!

SCPD

QRT
bc7801 I have a similar problem for "no antennas on the roof"I was looking thru antennas and came across a Slinkyantenna 80-1300 "jumbo j pole" for the attic, has anyone heard of their use for milcoms? and if they are good as advertised {I have a.. discone thats not as good as i hoped and was thinking about replacing it

bc780l

Premium Subscriber
Attic Mount

I've used antennas in the attic quite successfully. The last two places I've been in there's been room for a 40 meter dipole (no experience with the slinky). Put an antenna tuner on it and it works relatively well for HF. On VHF/UHF, I've suspended a single and dual-band Ringo Rangers in the attic. If there's access and room, you may be surprised. Just watch out for stepping through the ceiling or slicing into electrical wiring or vent tubing.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
bc7801 I have a similar problem for "no antennas on the roof"I was looking thru antennas and came across a Slinkyantenna 80-1300 "jumbo j pole" for the attic, has anyone heard of their use for milcoms? and if they are good as advertised {I have a.. discone thats not as good as i hoped and was thinking about replacing it

Bobf9f5, I bought the Super Hot 24" J Pole and put it on my glass window inside the house. I must say I am impressed and I use it for MilComms also. It picks up very well in the entire range. They have a 36" J Pole now. You can't beat the price.

rabidmoose57

Think Christmas.....

I used a stand from a fake Christmas tree, drilled holes in the feet to mount by. Sprayed the antenna, mount, and coax the same color as the roof. The buddy I did it for was never found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.