I need an antenna for Motorola Radius M1225 UHF Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good antenna for my Motorola Radius M1225 UHF Radio preferably window mount... HELP?!? haha i cant find anything

Channels: 20/24

Freq. Range: 450-474 MHz

Power: 40 Watts

Thanks!

pddispatcher

I'd pass on the window mounts.

None of them are that great. Severely lack.

Go with either drill or atleast a trunk lip mount with a 1/4 wave antenna NMO

Make sure u take the paint off where your strapping it to the trunk for better ground

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Window mounted antennas usually do not perform as well as other types, but it does depend on what you are using the radio for. If you are a user of a local system with good coverage you might find the window mounted one works well enough.

The owner of the company I used to work for had a glass mount for his UHF business repeater and that worked fine for years. However, when he got his ham ticket he had an NMO mounted in the center of the trunklid and used a "real" antenna.

A roof mounted NMO antenna is generally the best in performance you can get, a 1/4 (6" at UHF frequencies) would not stick out at all too.

What sort of truck do you have, that always helps.

i have a 1989 toyota pick-up extended cab and it has what is called a headache bar which is a single portion or a lumber rack up against the cab... i dont have a problem with something other than a window mount i just dont realy like the magnetic ones (too temporary) and i dont want to put a hole in the roof of my truck for it... i may sell the truck and i wanted to be able to take the radios i have with me... so maybe something i can put on the bumper? im not sure you all probably know more bout all of this than i do... this is the first ufh radio i have ever owned ive used cb in the past and i dont know much about this technology yet so anything ya'll can let me know is greatly appreciated!

pddispatcher

While mag mount isn't the best/optimum installation out there it will work for a temporary install.

You need to get a NMO 440mhz antenna made for the band split that you are / will be using.

So just out of curiosity out of the antennas that you guys have suggested is there or are there options that are better than others? im not one to buy a CHEAPLY constructed antenna and get the minimum capability out of my radio.... im also not opposed to the antennas that i can drill a mount into my bumpr for or in the bed of the truck of something like that... and i apologize for my ignorance in this field but what is a NMO and mag set-up actually mean... THANK YOU ALL once again i truly want to gain more knowledge in this area haha...

Status
Not open for further replies.