Mobile antenna help and suggestions -

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Should I go with comtelco or RS? for mobile

I want an antenna for around 162 - 170 mhz , 450 and 800.

I hear good things about the radio shack mag mount? --Model: 20-032 | Catalog #: 20-032

I also found locally a comtelco A11331B-Z
http://www.comtelcoantennas.com/PDF Datasheets/A11331.pdf which is a little cheaper than the RS.

Anyone have any exper. with the comtelco mobile?

Just want a good all around better soulution to the duck while on the road. Mag mount looks good as I will be using it in two different vehicles. The comtelco I listed seems to target the freq I will use most. I can't find any freq range on the RS

Last edited:

kirka127

One thing to keep in mind with the comtelco is that you will need to buy a mount as it does not come with one. I don't have a comtelco but do have the rat shack one and it does a pretty good on VHF/UHF but on 800Mhz is about the same as the 800 duckie on my Pro 95. Hope this helps.
Kirk

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I do have an unused cb antenna with a mag mount that I might be able to use the magnetic base with it.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
I like the price of the larsen but after shipping it will prob be the same as the comtelco. Is the larsen a better all around or is there really that much difference between this type of antenna?

I did buy a RH77ca as a replacement for the stock duckie to tide me over.So far so good :)

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Thanx everyone, The larsen works well in the camper with the mag mount and I was very happy with it. I tried using the larsen on a cookie sheet inside the house and it doesn't work nearly as well as the rh77 does. The larsen really needs the vehicle body as a ground plane to work best. I do, however need a better antenna solution than either the rh77 or the larsen for the house. I'll have to check with santa :)

Status
Not open for further replies.