Connector hole punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMM-BDA

I have some N-female bulkhead connectors that at one end are flattened on both sides (click on attached thumbnail to see an elargement).

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a hole punch for these that would allow me to punch holes for them in a plastic weatherproof enclosure.

I've searched the Wiki & forums here. Someone mentioned a company called Greeley that makes punches, but asside from a place called Greeley in Colorado, I couldn't find a company by that name.

I realize that I could use a smaller drill bit & then use a file to elongate the holes on both sides, but I'd prefer to buy a hole punch specifically made for these holes, if I could just find one.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• npunch.jpg
    npunch.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 3,138

fineshot1

If you can not find the exact punch with the flat sides, then a greenlee 5/8" hole punch should be about right to do the job minus of course the flat sides.

digitalanalog

You can go to just about any hardware store or home center
and get a hole saw in just about any size you need.
holesawds1.jpg

JMM-BDA

Thanks for the great information, folks. With the correct company name, I checked out Greenlee & found the punches, except they were way too big (they were more for the size of cutouts that you find on your wall for plugging in 120-V AC items). So I'll end up instead drilling the main holes & then use a dremmel tool to elongate them.

DigitalAnalog, the attached is the kind of holes that I need to make, so the hole saw you suggest wouldn't work. But thanks anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Attachments

• Double-D.jpg
    Double-D.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 5,534

fineshot1

Thanks for the great information, folks. With the correct company name, I checked out Greenlee & found the punches, except they were way too big (they were more for the size of cutouts that you find on your wall for plugging in 120-V AC items). So I'll end up instead drilling the main holes & then use a dremmel tool to elongate them.

DigitalAnalog, the attached is the kind of holes that I need to make, so the hole saw you suggest wouldn't work. But thanks anyway.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Not sure why you think "they were way too big". Greenlee makes a 5/8" hole punch(i own a Q-Max) and after I measured a female N connector's outer dimensions it should do fine for making a circular hole. It may need a small amount of reaming as a touch up but should get you their easily and should not shatter plastic(i have used it on many kinds of plastic), and it does not have to be made by Greenlee as they are a bit pricey - any manufacture should do just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Greenlee-730-Kn...ItemQQimsxZ20080913?IMSfp=TL080913103006r9612

http://www.westlake-electronic.com/store/search/1/detail/1/item_no/GREE10045/

digitalanalog

You really don't need the hole to be slotted.
A nonconductive washer on both sides would
allow you to just go with a round hole.

Anyway, i'm sure you will get it sorted., Good luck.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
The greenlee slugbusters are gong to give you a round hole also. They do make smaller sized punches but IMO you are better off getting a hole saw. It's what I always used for the pvc boxes. When you drill use a variable speed drill at a slow speed. If you have a drill bit that size save your money and use the bit. Just make a small pilot hole first for better accuracy.

JMM-BDA

Actually, Greenlee do indeed make a half-dozen punches like that (plus squares & rectangles). But, a little dremmel bit will be much cheaper. :)

I realize that I don't need to slot it, but had wanted to.

Thanks anyway folks - just thought there might have been critters like that which were eluding me.

JMM-BDA

Actually, it's the 61086 that I would've needed. It's the smallest Double-D punch that they make, but it's still too big for my holes. And it's even more than that 61080 that you mention, so indeed, the Dremel method is WAY cheaper. I had no idea how much those punches cost until today. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

Don_Burke

The 61086 would not function for you at all.

The hole made by 61080 would at least hold the bulkhead connector.

You can handle a single D. You can not handle a hole so big the entire fixture passes through.

It is all academic unless you find someone willing to loan you one.

JMM-BDA

Yeah, a couple of posts ago I mentioned that the ones I found are way too big, and that I had given up on that idea & will use a Dremel bit. ;-)

I had no idea how expensive those little critters are - not worth it.

But thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.