Trying new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I know there is lots to be said abot two antennas to one scanner but I thought I'd try something based on what I've seen in homebrew mods and such.
Look at the configuration I tried in the pictures. 90 degree angle bnc to a bnc tee, RH77CA up and RS 800 MHZ down.
Can any of the forum experts better explain why this is crazy looking but working better for my reception? For the most part five verses three bars signal strength. Alot less static on some conventional channels, better clarity on VHF air as well. My APCO P25 system is somewhat clearer but this is Saturday and not much traffic on it today. Better test results on Monday. According to ID tracker high 80 percent after the mod and 60's before the mod. (Just one RH77CA or RS800 or RS Deluxe)
I also tried a RS Deluxe in the down position and have similiar results.

Always willing to try new stuff but I'm asking for the expert analysis. I know it would be awkward to carry but for a desktop setup I'm happy with the results just don't know the technical reason why?

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Don.

Last edited:

digitalanalog

If it works, there really is no reason for explanations.

I would bet if it is performing so well on the desktop, make it happen outside in the same configuration and i should think an even Better performance.

Those antenna's are small enough,i would think even in Restricted housing, you should be able to get it outside without any problem.

Great job on TRYING something that most would never even consider.

This is an awesome! Idea... I have tried this tonight with my 2 Pro-97's. I'm using the RS 800MHZ antenna on top and have the other side attached to my RS Mag Mount antenna (Model: 20-032) that i have in my room here. I am seeing noticable reception improvement on Conventional as well as on certain 800Mhz systems I listen to. In fact a certain system that listen to is normally very spotty and has trouble maintaining a control channel just due to my location. Well after trying this concoction of antennas i am recieving the control channel quite a bit stronger with no interference.. I will continue to check this out tomorrow when there is more traffic and comms on various conventional systems. this seems to be a very cool little idea!!!

photovision

Could it be that the 2 antennas together form the top and bottom of a dipole configuration? Although it is not tuned well for specific frequencies,it may be more efficient than either of the antennas alone.

blueangel-eric

Feed Provider
Could it be that the 2 antennas together form the top and bottom of a dipole configuration? Although it is not tuned well for specific frequencies,it may be more efficient than either of the antennas alone.
it can't be a dipole as both antennas run off the center connection. which would be the ground then?

Eric Burris kc0ldt

photovision

it can't be a dipole as both antennas run off the center connection. which would be the ground then?

Eric Burris kc0ldt

I guess you are right. I was thinking in general terms of positioning etc. Terms like director/reflector and parasitic. Not conventional but if it works there must be a reason in there somewhere.

hoser147

I cant help ya on an explanation, but I had good luck running 2 off or my 2052, it didnt work as well on other scanners. If it works for ya no reason to question it, antenna is mostly theory and experimentation. Good Scannin. Hoser

N

N_Jay

Specific antenna configurations provide specific results.
Random antenna configuration provide random results.
Random results may be better or worse on any particular instance.
Selective perception will make the improvements more noticeable than the deficits.

Status
Not open for further replies.