My new Centerfire Discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydmark1

Got a Centerfire Discone antenna for Xmas, so I just got done mounting it up on my roof. I used a piece of 3/4" Galvanized pipe 4' long srewed into a flange that is Lag bolted to the roof.

I still need to get my coax and run it up to it, debating on where I want it to enter the house. I'm planning to use RG-6 coax 50 or 75' long (depending on how I run it) with a PL-259 to the antenna and a BNC to my Pro-106.

Here's a couple of pictures of the new Antenna

CenterfireDiscone.jpg

CenterfireDiscone3.jpg

trooperdude

Database Admin
Since Discones are unity gain to begin with, you'll lose some signal if you don't use at least RG6U Quad Shield with an actual COPPER center conductor, and not a copper-plated steel center conductor.

Why not LMR400 at least ?

skydmark1

Well I was going with RG-6 because it is readily available in my area and won't break the bank, I should be able to get my hands on Quad shield pretty easily. I didn't really want to order anything because I'd like to start using my new antenna soon, I'm impatient...haha

pddispatcher

Got a Centerfire Discone antenna for Xmas, so I just got done mounting it up on my roof. I used a piece of 3/4" Galvanized pipe 4' long srewed into a flange that is Lag bolted to the roof.

I still need to get my coax and run it up to it, debating on where I want it to enter the house. I'm planning to use RG-6 coax 50 or 75' long (depending on how I run it) with a PL-259 to the antenna and a BNC to my Pro-106.

Here's a couple of pictures of the new Antenna

CenterfireDiscone.jpg

CenterfireDiscone3.jpg

Walmart has 100 ft run for $34-$36 Phillips Brand RG-6 Quad Shield

skydmark1

Walmart huh? Hmmm I might have to go check that out! 100ft is more than I need but might be worth crimping a new end on anyway. I also have a local Electronics store going out of business, 50% off everything. I'll have to see what he has left.

Also, yes I noticed it has few ground radial elements than other discones, so I hope it's still a decent antenna. I've read some ham reviews of it and they said it was decent, so we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.